A few hours out yesterday.....

Tigger

I always thought of it as a prolific water for fish in the 3-5lb range, but that 8lb-plus fish the other week has changed my mind. Best tactic is a feeder tight to the island, really.

I am back on the deep dark mysterious water not far from my house.

Been float fishing one of the shallow areas just over a drop off about three feet deep.

Tench to 5lb, Crucian to 3lb, Roach to 1.5lb, some small carp to a pound and small Rudd.

This week been smashed twice by something big, spade ends to 5lb hooklength.

This evening caught a bunch of razor mussels, hook inside one! Four Tench, three Crucian, a Rudd and several nice Roach. The Tench were all small so they must be breeding well.

A 9lb 9oz bream caught by a mate a few days back, no bream for me yet.

Skimmers to 2lb have made a showing.

Perch are now making an appearance up to around a pound.

One 17lb carp has fallen to another rod but no more to anyone else yet.

No eels reported yet.

Everything in there grows big and the prospect of the Perch growing large is mouthwatering.

It's still a hard water but whilst I have found a method that works I will stick to it, no one else has even fished the peg I have been catching from.

Had a 22lb carp on dog biscuits from the smaller easier pool last week, an opportunist catch totally unplanned, was walking past on way back to car and saw carp milling about so had one cast at them!

• Like 1

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Your lucky if a crayfish has woken up enough to pinch your bait here lol

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• 2 months later...

I haven't managed much time on the bank this season and the couple of short trotting sessions didn't produce very much, a few small chub, a few trout, one nice chub and a couple of barbel....

2017-06-23%2019.36.22.jpg

2017-06-21%2017.50.32.jpg

...slow starts to the season are the norm really so fingers crossed the fishing improves as the season progresses.

• Like 2

I usually leave the rivers alone at the start of the season as I don't relish fishing on a crowded riverbank especially if the river levels are really low and swims have been over fished; so it will be at least a week or two before I decide to venture out on my favourite stream.

Tomorrow I'm taking my son for an afternoon and evening session after a few Tench, Crucians and. big Rudd at a private estate lake near me where there'll only be about two or three other anglers there due to a very limited membership. The Carp have been spawning for the past couple of weeks and still are; so they will not be targeted.

But I am really biting at the bit to get my first barbel of the season in a week or two's time when I do eventually venture out onto running water.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 2

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Hi Keith - don't forget the Bait-Tech Polony Meat - the Betane one.

I'm also now using the strawberry flavoured version in the same brand - for Carp but tin alleges also good for Barbel, Chub, Bream & Tench.

Very good for the Carp & Bream - they nearly pull the rod in.

Edited by Martin56
  • Like 1

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Hi Keith - don't forget the Bait-Tech Polony Meat - the Betane one.

I'm also now using the strawberry flavoured version in the same brand - for Carp but tin alleges also good for Barbel, Chub, Bream & Tench.

Hi Martin,

I'll have to give the strawberry flavoured meat a go for the Carp and Tench.

The Carp yes but not the Bream surely? Lol.

When I do get to fish my local streams/rivers in a week or so I have several tins of Bait-Tech 'N-Tice Polony' (with added Betaine) to get through from the end of last season, I'm also going to give some Sonubaits 'Oozing Spicey Sausage' pellets a try which look good and which I haven't tried yet, they feel slightly softer than my usual Sonubaits Pellet 'O's and look like they will be oozing plenty of flavour trail into the water, if so I might be using them more if the barbel like them.

I'll probably start off trotting some red & white maggots at first then move onto meat or pellets once the sun drops to the horizon.

I am really looking forward to getting onto my streams and rivers this year.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)