A few hours out yesterday.....

Tigger

I have had a couple of fish so far. 3 chub last time out but only one barbel in 3 sessions which is not the usual for the places I go to. Im not complaining though. Will be more rewarding when they start to feed and move about again. I saw someone say that perhaps the low water has led to them not leaving their spawning grounds and of course if they are still at it anyway they wont be feeding hard.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

I popped down to the river yesterday and it was really barrelling through. I fished a slack with my brother for a few hours with smelly baits trying to tempt something but it wasn't happening. We have a trip planned for this evening to try and snag a carp and with the levels dropping off again I think you are right that it could be good sport this evening. He had one on Tuesday so we are hoping to repeat that success. He has found that single baits with no free offerings seem to catch the carp.

• Like 1

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...

I had several hours out yesterday but the river was up a little and quite coloured with what I think is peat which comes from one of the tributaries. Anyhow the fishing wasn't too good, for whatever reason I really don't know. I had a huge dace that was foul hooked under it's peck and got one barbel of around 6 or 7lb. I noticed some rain clouds gathering and decided to start my long walk back to the car. I made the right decision as it started to slam it down just as I got back to the car! Unfortunately I can't post a pic as photo-bucket have decided they want 399 dollars from me to allow third party posting.

• Like 1

Just had a week on a narrow boat on the Severn with Norma and Lutra, Started well, with plenty of perch and zander, but fizzled out a bit when the temperature dropped mid-week, It was a bit disappointing for the two zander -hunting guests that joined us mid-week - they were greeted with tales of stacks of zanders (fishing two rods the night before I had had two fish on at once) Alas, the guests' arrival coincided with a disappearance of zander and perch bites. All they had to show was a small jack pike each.

The species count was down also - a couple of years ago Lutra and I got a dozen species each, this year I could only muster nine species to Lutra's eleven

• Like 2

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

The species count was down also - a couple of years ago Lutra and I got a dozen species each, this year I could only muster nine species to Lutra's eleven

I thought we did well Dave, as we did only have half the time of a couple of years ago, but got homemade apple pie served up twice as much. :thumbs:

• Like 1

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I had a go trotting for barbel and chub on the river later on in the afternoon and early evening yesterday. I didn't do too well really only catching very small chub as long as my finger at first, then I got some ranging in size from a pound to two pound. Eventually after trying all manner of trotting methods and shotting patterns, different depths etc etc I cast to a very awkward spot to reach and as the float slid through a small gap of fast water behind a sunken tree it was pulled under and after striking into it I thought i'd hooked a tree root as it was solid, then I felt a little nod and thought it must be a barbel but after being able to drag it into mid river I knew it must be a chub, it turned out to be a clonker but I didn't bother weighing it, a conservative guess would be a high five but it had obviously just spawned and had no belly whatsoever. I reckon that fish will be over 7lb come October ! After that I got another nice chub not far off the size of that one, then it was small fish of a pound or two until my stomach started to digest itself and I had to go home for some grub !

I used the Tricast John Allerton rod that I got in March and it's growing on me, the blank that is... the reel seat isn't.

Edited by Tigger
  • Like 4

• 1 year later...

Took advantage of the nice weather today and spent the afternoon trotting. The river was spot on for float fishing and the fish were feeding well. I landed 15 barbel ranging in size from about 6lb to one I weighed at a ounce or so over 10lb and my new PB float caught barbel of 13lb 7 ounces....:).

I lost another barbel that must have swam under an obsticle and got my line stuck on it, I lost my float as the line parted. I also lost was must have been a huge trout, although I never actually got to see it, i'm sure it was a trout of some kind though. Oh, I had a nice grayling of about 1 1/2 lb which was a welcome surprise. All in all a very enjoyable day, fish wise and weather wise :).

• Like 1

I have only ever caught one barbel back in the 60's at iden lock ,farnham has a stretch of the lodden with some biggies but its not my sort of fishing i dont ledger in rivers and its a bit of a hike .

I ventured there (near reading) in the 70's but it wasnt so well managed and hard to find a decent bit to fish in so i came home.

The club stocked some pond ones but i think the cats ate them

Like a zander something i will never catch again

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I have only ever caught one barbel back in the 60's at iden lock ,farnham has a stretch of the lodden with some biggies but its not my sort of fishing i dont ledger in rivers and its a bit of a hike .

I ventured there (near reading) in the 70's but it wasnt so well managed and hard to find a decent bit to fish in so i came home.

The club stocked some pond ones but i think the cats ate them

Like a zander something i will never catch again

You didn't have to leger for em Chesters, I always float fish for them if I can.

Your missing out, get your trotting gear out and go catch some :).