A few hours out yesterday.....

Tigger

I so enjoy your trips out Tiggs and the wonderful accompanying photos ( lovely Grass Carp :D ) even though you only seem to use your pins once and then discard them. This high esteem I held you in has wavered somewhat now that I have discovered that you leave the plastic on your corks..............Shameless !!!! :o:o:o

Glad you like the posts Bartman, we could do with a few others posting how they get on on their outings etc, no need to mention any names of waters....I don't.

You know what....I thought the chub looked like grassies held like that :).

The pins get used regularly, they're mostly still there appart from a few that I didn't really like.

I know, I know, but the placcy comes off eventually, I really don't mind it being on, it saves cleaning the corks for a spell, and contrary to what many people think, it's never damaged them. If it looked remotely like damage could be caused by the placcy being on then it would be off in a jiffy!

Nice one Tigger :thumbs:

Glad you like the posts Bartman, we could do with a few others posting how they get on on their outings etc, no need to mention any names of waters....I don't.

Unfortunately I cant do a report at the moment Tigger because my car is being fixed after a nice lady driver decided to drive into my car. She was parked outside of her house and just decided to drive out and hit my car as I drove past her.?

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

"Glad you like the posts Bartman, we could do with a few others posting how they get on on their outings etc, no need to mention any names of waters....I don't."

I thought I had your gorgeous little river sussed at one point Tiggs then another pic blew that theory out of the water, unless of course you chucked in a red herring !!

It truly looks an idyllic stretch and for all those wonderous reports you deserve every minute you spend there.....Proper fishing !

Edited by Bartman
  • Like 1

Nice one Tigger :thumbs:

Unfortunately I cant do a report at the moment Tigger because my car is being fixed after a nice lady driver decided to drive into my car. She was parked outside of her house and just decided to drive out and hit my car as I drove passed her.

Keith

Sorry to hear that Keith, fingers crossed you car is sorted asap and you can get back out fishing!!

I'm still recoverring from being hit with a car a few weeks ago!

I thought I had your gorgeous little river sussed at one point Tiggs then another pic blew that theory out of the water, unless of course you chucked in a red herring !!

It truly looks an idyllic stretch and for all those wonderous reports you deserve every minute you spend there.....Proper fishing !

Very kind words Bartman, thankyou :)

Oh, I forgot to mention,I fish a few different rivers and just mooch about a lot until I bump into some fish.

Edited by Tigger

Got out today targetting barbel and chub, and dace, and trou, and pretty much anything that would pull my string lol.

Anyhow, I managed the trout, the dace and some small chub but the barbel just wouldn't entertain a moving bait. I decided to remove all the bb's off my line bar the one dropper and fold a piece of mono round my mainline, and add several AAA shot....a link leger I think is the correct term for it.

I slid my dropper shot, or what was now my link leger stop about 15 inches up from the hook to create my hoolkength, and pushed my float up around about double the depth of the swim....now I was all set for laying on.

No sooner had I cast out and everything settled and my float bobbed a bit and then shot under, I struck into a decent barbel of about 7lb. After that I had a little one about 3lb and then a fish of bang on 11 pound! I hooked into a serosly large looking fish, but I could see it was foul hooked just behind it's head and as expected, the hook shot out after i'd put on a lot of pressure intended to cause the hook pull. I then had one more barbel of about 8 or 9lb. That was me done, time to go home for some jack bit.

2019-07-17-13-17-11.jpg

2019-07-17-13-56-08.jpg

2019-07-17-14-26-05.jpg

2019-07-17-14-45-23.jpg

Another great write up Tigger, top fishing :thumbs:

and fold a piece of mono round my mainline, and add several AAA shot....a link leger I think is the correct term for it.

Yes a link leger, a method that I often use when Im touch legering for Barbel on the bottom but I havent used it under a float yet Tigger.

Its great for when I need to keep my bait semi static and can trundle a bait down the swim every now and then by gently lifting my rod tip it, and I can add or remove a shot or two to suit the flow.

linkleger.png

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Another great write up Tigger, top fishing :thumbs:Yes a link leger, a method I often use when Im touch legering for Barbel on the bottom but I havent used it under a float yet Tigger.

Its great for when I need to keep my bait semi static and can trundle a bait down the swim now and then, by gently lifting my rod tip. I can add or remove a shot or two to suit the flow.linkleger.png

Keith

I used the top one in your diagrame. I have used it a lot on smaller rivers but because I was stood mid river on the larger river it worked a treat. Instead of the rubber stop, i just use a small shot, a bb or similar. That way you only need to remove the lop of line, add you other shot to the line and your back trotting.

Imo, this method is much more sensitive than touch legering as the float goes under well before you would feel anything on the rod tip! It's just float legering on running water really....lovely way to fish and I reckon it would be great to try on the smaller river that you fish....can you get me a guest ticket and i'll come join you for a day :).

Oh, forgot to mention, you need to push your float further up the line the faster the flow and hold your rpd, or if in a rest, position it at the right angle so as to keep the line off the water and hold your float half'ish cocked, if you get my meaning. If you remember JWilson used to do it a lot fishing off the bank and he describes the method in his coarse fishing manual.

Edited by Tigger

The link leger as described is a great method, and as Ian says it's easy to switch from trotting, to float leger, and to straight leger. It has the added advantage of being very easy to adjust. Adding or taking off a shot or two means you can go from a moving bait, to one that just holds but is easy to dislodge, to one that is static. The same applies if you change bait, or size of bait, you just add or take of a shot or two. Spacing the shot out also provides extra grip, without adding any weight. If the weight snags, the shot just pulls off leaving you still attached to the fish. If I'm roaming, with just one rod, this is the set up I usually use.

John.

PS. If I'm fishing into streamer weed, I will use this method, and have a 'tail' anything up to 6ft, the weight will usually hold at the upstream end of the weed, and the bait will swing down under the weed, where the barbel are usually hiding. If the weight snags, then as above, the shot will pull off, leaving you to play the fish.

Edited by gozzer
  • Like 3

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John