A few hours out yesterday.....

Tigger

I was using a 5 x SSG link leger when I caught my very first Barbel on the river Kennet way back in 1975 and have been using it ever since.

Ill never forget my very first Barbel even though it was only 5½lbs; I was using 8lb Silcast line and a size 4 Specimen hook on a B.James & Son Richard Walker MK IV Carp rod and a Mitchell 300 reel and I was touch legering on a hot but slightly overcast summers evening, and using a tin of Tulip luncheonmeat.

I caught another Barbel later that same evening, but I dont remember a lot about that one other than it was just over 8lb in weight, but I remember catching my very first Barbel as clearly as if it were yesterday. I can even remember feeling the gravel through my fingers and feeling the streamer weed rubbing against my line before I had the rod almost torn from my hand, and I was hooked on Barbel from that moment on.

My mate (budgy) had taken me to the river Kennet with the aim of me catching my very first Barbel and was standing next to me and teaching me how to touch leger for them and where I should cast and why etc. and he had lent me the rod and reel because my own gear was simply not up to it back in those days.

I can even hear his voice telling me to gently raise my rod tip every minute or so to get my bait trundling downstream for a couple of feet before stopping again.

F1-A6-A076-2446-47-A2-AF5-D-D9-CCF0-F61-

think that this was my very first Barbel which I caught that evening way back in 1975.

Unfortunately there are no guest tickets on the stream/river where I currently fish for Barbel Tigger. Its a real shame we dont live closer as we both love fishing for Barbel on streams & smallish rivers and using centrepins for trotting.

Tight lines

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 2

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I was using a 5 x SSG link leger when I caught my very first Barbel on the river Kennet way back in 1975 and have been using it ever since.

Ill never forget my very first Barbel even though it was only 5½lbs; I was using 8lb Silcast line and a size 4 Specimen hook on a B.James & Son Richard Walker MK IV Carp rod and a Mitchell 300 reel and I was touch legering on a hot but slightly overcast summers evening, and using a tin of Tulip luncheonmeat.

I caught another Barbel later that same evening, but I dont remember a lot about that one other than it was just over 8lb in weight, but I remember catching my very first Barbel as clearly as if it were yesterday. I can even remember feeling the gravel through my fingers and feeling the streamer weed rubbing against my line before I had the rod almost torn from my hand, and I was hooked on Barbel from that moment on.

My mate (budgy) had taken me to the river Kennet with the aim of me catching my very first Barbel and was standing next to me and teaching me how to touch leger for them and where I should cast and why etc. and he had lent me the rod and reel because my own gear was simply not up to it back in those days.

I can even hear his voice telling me to gently raise my rod tip every minute or so to get my bait trundling downstream for a couple of feet before stopping again.F1-A6-A076-2446-47-A2-AF5-D-D9-CCF0-F61-think that this was my very first Barbel which I caught that evening way back in 1975.

Unfortunately there are no guest tickets on the stream/river where I currently fish for Barbel Tigger. Its a real shame we dont live closer as we both love fishing for Barbel on streams & smallish rivers and using centrepins for trotting.

Tight lines

Keith

Blimey, you have a good memory Keith!....some memories well worth remembering by the sounds of it :).

shame about the guest tickets not being available, I like the look of that small river you fish! I usually fish a large river, but if i'm honest, I prefer medium to smaller rivers.

Strange thing centerpins ,i have never seen one being used (myself included) by people old enough to have used little else but centerpins (fixed spools were not a cheap item even in the 50's) plenty of middle aged people (plenty as a handfull in my time after being given my first fixed spool in 1960).

Perhaps its something like liking oil dripping piece of junk motorbikes or playing with old cars (cars you choose to play with not poor people who can only afford old cars).

Once i got my first fixed spool i never went back i own some centerpins (a couple of ok ones ) but i certainly wouldnt use one i would rather not go fishing at all if they were mandatory i realised as a boy they were not my cup of tea!

Woodern ones were junk ,after the war there was plenty of aluminium about so they were being knocked up in every shed in the country i expect but crude things indeed ,i ended up using a centerpin that turned on a spindle so it casted like a fixed spool the places i fished needed being remote (i couldnt afford to join a club so poached in the main) so you could put down line loops to cast (a lot like where i fish now ((with permission)) this reel gave me an advantage ) true there were decent aerials about but i never saw one and certainly never used one and dont hanker to go back to "the good old days" that really were not that good!

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Chesters, at the end of the day, you either like 'em or you don't, simple as that, and it sounds like your not keen on them.

I'm curious why you still have any if you dislike them so much?

Edited by Tigger

Chesters, at the end of the day, you either like 'em or you don't, simple as that, and it sounds like your not keen on them.

I'm curious why you still have any if you dislike them so much?

Maybe you should dust off those pins chesters & discover what you've been missing out on all those years!!

Go on mate - give them another chance.

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Here's a lovely beginners Vid' on how to use a centrepin.

It also demonstrates the Wallis (or is it wallace?) cast, but don't stress out over that bit!!

Please watch till the end - it may even be a "Brush up" to iron out any bad habits for even the most experienced Pinners!!

https://youtu.be/Q9V4l1bEgy0

Edited by Martin56

Maybe you should dust off those pins chesters & discover what you've been missing out on all those years!!

Go on mate - give them another chance.

They have been out and swiftly gone back in lol

I go out for pleasure not get caught on microscopic bits of grass ,where i fish tends not to be good for casting but dropping the float mid stream with the rod 90 degrees to the bank works but i can do that with my abu and not worry about about overuns .

The Wey at tilford is not that wide but consists of fast and slow currents and crystal clear water and lots of bends and 4ft high weeds on the bank ,you may get a straigt bit for 20 feet or so so i would rather watch the float than worry that the reel is catching on the weeds!

I also did mention i started off with them its like going back to bicycles after riding a motor bike ,bicycles had engines fitted for a reason

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Chesters, I've just had first hand experience at trying New old stuff.

I'm an Inspector in Engineering & haven't worked a Manual Lathe in anger for some years.

I was recently asked to help the manufacturing team out with this (being an apprentice trained turner) & discovered how good I still am at it. OK - doing the easier, "Lads" jobs, but keeping the workflow going.

(The Upside being - It'll still go through 'Cos I'm the Inspector Lol)

Edited by Martin56

Here's part of what I do for my living these days - programming and running one of these bad Girls.

https://youtu.be/CJ2aLNIMhTM

Says to the machine shop - "Ave another go Kid" or it'll do!!

Edited by Martin56

Too complex for me Martin !

Today I had a trotting session on a part of the river i've only ever fished once before. Anyhow, the river was up a few inches from last nights deluge, ok, not exactly in flood, but it was coloured up and proved to be hard as nails!

My m8 only had 6 dace, but because I was willing to rove about I had about 20 dace and one decent chub. I'm positive I had a barbel on for a few moments, and it didn't feel foul hooked yet the hook came free of it.

2019-07-22-17-27-05.jpg