A few hours out yesterday.....

Tigger

Fished from 2.15 to 4.15 this afternoom, chub were my target species. In those two hours roaving about a mile of river and dropping in likely looking glides I had a lot of fish and they all fought very hard for their sizes.

Here's a few pic's of some of the chub from the session....

IMG-0250.jpg

IMG-0242.jpg

IMG-0241.jpg

IMG-0237.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to get out last wednesday and thursday as the river was just fishable with the float gear. Both trips were only short but enjoyable and I caught some nice fish. I won't even try to give accounts of the sessions as I can't remember what happened yesterday never mind last week lol, so here's a few pic's, wednesday....

IMG-0262.jpg

IMG-0265.jpg

IMG-0270.jpg

IMG-0272.jpg

Edited by Tigger
  • Like 2

Do you ever weight those dace Ian? Unless you have very small hands, I'd guess some of those must be over 1lb.

John

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

It's a long time since I went to the trouble of weighing any of the larger ones John but that was a few years back now. If I say what they weighed people would call me a liar so i'll just say they were chunky :). I never bother weighing them now but often think I should weigh some of the propper crumpers! There's no skill involved in catching them if they're infront of you. I catch a lot of the larger ones on bunches of up to 14 or 15 maggots on a 14's hook and 6lb line whilst targetting barbel and chub.

• Like 1

I know. I thought the weather back home was abysmal but not so judging by your great pics and fab fish.

Don't be fooled by the pic's Mike, the weather is most definately abysmal !

The rivers are up again but I may be able to slip a short session in tomorrow if the rain holds off.

Your not really missing much, gimmi a shout when you get back and we'll go fishing :).

• Like 1

It's a long time since I went to the trouble of weighing any of the larger ones John but that was a few years back now. If I say what they weighed people would call me a liar so i'll just say they were chunky smile.png. I never bother weighing them now but often think I should weigh some of the propper crumpers! There's no skill involved in catching them if they're infront of you. I catch a lot of the larger ones on bunches of up to 14 or 15 maggots on a 14's hook and 6lb line whilst targetting barbel and chub.

I wish you would weigh them Ian, there are some great fish in your pics. I'm assuming that you're getting them from the Ribble. I haven't fished it since the 80s, and back then it was one of the first rivers that I'd heard of having a major cormorant problem. There were reports of fish stocks being decimated, and calls for a cull, obviously there are now good stock levels in the river.

As to the big bunches of maggots, it's years since I fished with a dozen or so on a hook, and then it was a size 8 or bigger, and usually for tench, carp, or barbel.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John