A few hours out yesterday.....

Tigger

Ian holds the world record for the number and speed of hooking, of maggots on a size 14 hook. It's mesmerising to watch.

• Like 1

Gozzer.

I'd guess those dinks will go 8 - 12 oz.

Phone

I'd agree with that for some of the fish Phone, but some of the others, if laid on my hands, would be around 12" long, and be pushing the 1lb mark. I've tried to find some weight for length charts to get a rough idea, and this is the best I've seen for the dace,

https://idlersquest.blogspot.com/p/weightlength-curves.html

It's obviously not that accurate, but fits in with my experience of dace up to 12oz, (weighed on tested match scales).

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I'd agree with that for some of the fish Phone, but some of the others, if laid on my hands, would be around 12" long, and be pushing the 1lb mark. I've tried to find some weight for length charts to get a rough idea, and this is the best I've seen for the dace,

https://idlersquest.blogspot.com/p/weightlength-curves.html

It's obviously not that accurate, but fits in with my experience of dace up to 12oz, (weighed on tested match scales).

John.

As far as I was aware John the scales I used in the past when I did go to the trouble of weighing them were pretty much accurate, although they only went up in one ounce increments so if the dial was above an increment then I would go to the lower weight. Most of the fish I weighed were over the pound mark and some by more than several ounces. I used a small placcy bag to weigh them in and I remember the bag didn't register at all on the scales. Obviously for record weights of such tiddly fish you would need to have scales that went down to grames or less?

I would imagine the actual record dace weight is bettered every year by people who just have no interest in claiming a record of such a small fish.

I do like to catch them though and have often had one on and been sure it was a chub of a pound or more because of the fight it has put up. Sometimes i've been very surprised to see a dace surface after such a good little scrap!

As far as I was aware John the scales I used in the past when I did go to the trouble of weighing them were pretty much accurate, although they only went up in one ounce increments so if the dial was above an increment then I would go to the lower weight. Most of the fish I weighed were over the pound mark and some by more than several ounces. I used a small placcy bag to weigh them in and I remember the bag didn't register at all on the scales. Obviously for record weights of such tiddly fish you would need to have scales that went down to grames or less?

I would imagine the actual record dace weight is bettered every year by people who just have no interest in claiming a record of such a small fish.

I do like to catch them though and have often had one on and been sure it was a chub of a pound or more because of the fight it has put up. Sometimes i've been very surprised to see a dace surface after such a good little scrap!

Size for size dace put up a much better scrap than chub, especially on the gear I use. I've never considered chub to be a hard fighting fish though, having caught 3/4/5 lbers, on size 22s to 12oz line often enough. It does depend on the type of swim though.

I spotted this on line and wondered if it's anywhere near you,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-50301072

I remember fishing the Trent back in the 60s and 70s, and parts of it looked like that, especially below the weirs, it was still thick with fish. We used to fish with a long, bodied antenna float, fished top and bottom, with as much as 7 or 8 ins sticking out of the water. The tip would show above the foam and we caught decent bags of roach, and gudgeon in matches.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Isn't that old news John? Not my stomping ground thankfully.

I knew the river was way up above my float fishing level today but after having some chit chat about an old rod for sale on ebay I had to get out and give mine a go. When I got to the river it was 0.58 as opposed to 0.09 which is the level I like to fish it, no wading possible and I was restricted to the bank. The river was full of sediment and looked like dirty hot chocolate, apparently it's peat that comes down one of the tribs when it gets some water pushing through. I clambered down a huge banking behind a farm and fished off a grass plateau but was literally driven off by midgies, it reminded me of the film "the african queen"! Before I was driven off I managed one small chub and that was my lot.

IMG-0295.jpg

• Like 3

Love to see your pictures Ian and your persistence for the great unwashed to see how effective & enjoyable the pin can be!!showoff.gif

Edited by Martin56
  • Like 1

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!