A few hours out yesterday.....

Tigger

I had a couple of hours using a quivertip today, just a change from trotting for once.  To be honest me shoulders and neck are wreckin so that was the real reason for the change.  I only fished for a couple of hours up to dusk and had about 14 or 15 chub, no big fish with them all being very much the same as the one in the pic.  They were very sneaky and I had to hold the rod in my hand  and actually strike to hook them!

I reckon I would have had a hell of a lot of them if I had used the float.

IMG-0323.jpg

Edited by Tigger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Quite a busy couple of hours there Ian, (Would be for me anyway) well done.

Maybe they'd have been less finicky with Casters? (and maybe picked up some better fish as well)

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Thanks Martin, I did use casters as well as magg's.  For some wierd reason bread is a non starter on this water.  I usually have corn but couldn't be bothered to get some out of the freezer.  As I said, the chub were finnicky and it seemed they were mouthing the bait rather than sucking it in and moving away and so hooking themselves. Because of this I held the rod and watched the tip and when I thought a fish had the beit in it's mouth I struck.  Anyhow, the method worked and I was hitting them at about forty yards.  I used my m8s shimano antares specialst avon with the long white tips and it was a lovely rod to use for this kind'a fishing.  I'd like to catch a barbel with it in the future :).

Edited by Tigger

Maybe different now but in My River days I caught a lot of Chub using Kraft cheese slices.

Undo them all & knead them into a big ball then break off pieces & mold round the hook like an Arlsey Bomb.

Other cheaper slices seemed a bit too soft IMO so Kraft were the best. (Maybe stiffen cheap ones with Crumb??)

Sometimes just something a bit different can do the trick.

I dare say you've might have had a go before with this??

Nearly all Banged the rod round.

Big Hook - 6 or 8.

Edited by Martin56

There's just one more suggestion Ian - Dead maggots (Dead Reds) which are killed in the freezer or can buy already done.The theory is that it looks like old bait that's been there a while & therefore "Safe to Eat".

They certainly work very well on commie lakes - much better than Live ones, for all species - Not just Carp.

So Much so, I've given up with live ones.

Loose fed & hooked as a bunch. I hook 4 or 5 to 8 dead magg's+ depending on hook size on quiver tip & float alike.

Can be re frozen 2 or 3 times if you don't use them all.

The odd maggot can be killed rolling it hard on your bait tray or thumb & forefinger to try.

Edited by Martin56

No problems getting bites using live maggots Martin. Funny enough i've never had any luck with dead ones, infact as soon as my maggots look stretched out and dead I replace them with fresh riggly ones, wrigglier the better.

I actually prefer older maggots that i've had in and out of the fridge a few times and so have got hardened off to cold temp's so they live longer on the hook.  

• Like 1

Your lucky you can get out if i dig a signal on my detector near the river it comes out the hole to see me!

Dont any of you have avatars or hasnt Elton sorted yours out yet?

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

3 hours ago, chesters1 said:

Your lucky you can get out if i dig a signal on my detector near the river it comes out the hole to see me!

Dont any of you have avatars or hasnt Elton sorted yours out yet?

Surely It's the man behind the opinion that counts - not hiding behind some made up Winston Churchill look alike.

Unless that's really You??

Edited by Martin56