A few hours out yesterday.....

Tigger

Now now dont take it personally i was just asking if your avatar was missing? i maybe hiding behind a face that looks remarkably like my younger brother but you are "hiding" behind a simple letter ,isnt that even more hidy lol
As to the content i dont look at your avatar then decide if i want to read it ,i read it because its interesting !

I dont not read posts because of an avatar ,i guess some dont bother if they see mine thats their choice lol

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Got to the river just before 2pm today, it was up from the recent rains and the colour of a stirred up puddle of muddy water, not good!

The purpose of the trip out was to try and christen a recently acquired 15tf 6inch rod.

Anyhow, the rod proved to be great to use and  it made mending the line and controlling the float easy.

I might as well have arrived at the river at 3.38pm as that was when I caught the first of only two fish landed, the first of which was a trout.  A few more trotts downstream and I hooked what I think was a chub which came off, a couple more trotts through produced the fish in the picture.

IMG-0329.jpg

At 4.05 I hooked something substantial which swam slowly upstream until level with me, but as I tried to bring it to the surface to see what it was the hook pulled out before I caught sight of it!

At that point it was too dark to see the float so having christened the rod I made my way home.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Tigger said:

The purpose of the trip out was to try and christen a recently acquired 15tf 6inch rod.

Nice to see someone still out there wetting a line Ian.

What browning rod was it that you used ?

Keith

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Hello Kieth,  I noticed it was rain forecast for the rest of the week so the rivers will be even higher, ok for legering but no good for trotting so I spied my chance and got out yesterday.  It's thrashing down right now!

The rod is the longer version of the 13 ft 6 inch sphere spliced tip rod I got  a couple of months back, this one is the 15 ft 6 inches  spliced model and it's the longest rod i've ever had.  It was nice to use and i'm looking forward to giving it a propper test in the warmer months.  The extra length did make mending the line and keeping the float in the right lane easier....not as much stretching etc.

• Like 2

On 12/10/2019 at 4:53 PM, Phone said:

I once owned a 7' rod

Hi Phone :thumbs:

The only rods of 7ft or less that I have ever owned (and still do) are a couple of very light spinning rods plus a light dropshotting rod; but I would find it almost impossible to use any of these rods to trot a light float straight along a glide or gully 15ft or more away from my bank and downstream in a straight line, let alone striking cleanly through a float as it journeyed downstream with the line lying on the surface behind it.:fishing::D

I have several different length and different strength float rods which I use when trotting for various fish species; 11ft, 12ft, 13ft, 14ft 6in, 15ft and for the very occasional time when I need to trot very tight along the far bank below the rod tip for big roach on a local stream or I’m float fishing in a deepish swim; an older 17ft/20ft float rod, but unless I were trotting in an exceptionally narrow and/or exceptionally overgrown brook I wouldn’t even consider using anything shorter than my 11ft rod when I’m trotting;  and a 7 footer would definately not be my choice if I’m trotting. The rod length that I find the most useful on my local stream when I’m trotting is 13ft.

That 15ft 6in Sphere rod that Ian used looks just the ticket.:thumbs:

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
Additional paragraph.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I always strike at the end of every trot down before batting/reeling in - there's a chance a fish could be mouthing the bait at the very last second.

I've also had success trotting 8-10 mm cubes of Meat for Chub. (just tripping the bottom)

I often Punch meat into a cylinder - the top from an old thick felt tip pen works well, making a hole in the top so I can blow or push it out the end. (They're often slotted anyway to prevent kids from choking)

The waste/flash from punching is loose feed!!

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

That mystery fish was more than likely a big Pike (which grabbed a little fish you didn't even know was on?) It's happened to me in the past.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

• 3 weeks later...

Managed to get to the river at 2pm this afternoon, anyhow it had dropped off to a decent level after yet more floods and so I was hoping to catch some chub.

I had no sign of a bit for half an hour and then the float went under at about 60yds downstream.  As it was my first, and possibly only bite I took my time playing/guiding it back upstream.  The fish stayed out in the centre of the river as is allowed me to draw it back without too much pressure.  It didn't try to go into the banking as tge chub usually do and stuck to the bottom just like a barbel so I thought it might be one until I put enough pressure on to bring it up to the surface. Anyhow it was a very nice chub which I netted and put on the bank for a few seconds while I got a disgorger out my pocket to unhook it. As I fiddled about for the disgorger the fish flapped about and somehow flopped out the net and rolled back in the river.  I thought its ok i'll just wind it back in but when I picked up the rod the hook was in the net lol, so no pic of the biggy chub !

After that I had no more bites in that swim and moved to another where I had a few smaller chub.  As soon as they dried up I moved again for a few more, no big ones but some where decent and put up a decent scrap.  I think i'd had eleven at the end of the session which was at 3.54pm as it was pretty much dark!

IMG-0334.jpg

IMG-0337.jpg

• Like 1