A few hours out yesterday.....

Tigger

Phone, the rod is a good un, I used the 15ft 6inch one last time out and today I used the 13ft 6incher.  The rods have a spliced tip and apparently they were made specifically for river fiahing having a super fast action.  In all honesty they are good rods but I have others which I prefer.

The fish realy did flop out the net after i'd put the handle down to get a disgorger out of my pocket, it wasn't a monster chub, but it was a pretty decent one of iwhich i'd hazard a conservative guess at it being 5lb.  As I said, not massive at all but for where I was fishing that was a big un!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tigger said:

Phone, the rod is a good un, I used the 15ft 6inch one last time out and today I used the 13ft 6incher.  The rods have a spliced tip and apparently they were made specifically for river fiahing having a super fast action.  In all honesty they are good rods but I have others which I prefer.

The fish realy did flop out the net after i'd put the handle down to get a disgorger out of my pocket, it wasn't a monster chub, but it was a pretty decent one of iwhich i'd hazard a conservative guess at it being 5lb.  As I said, not massive at all but for where I was fishing that was a big un!

You did a lot better than me Ian. I had my last trip of the year, and possibly the last with a Leeds ASA yearbook, it's not a patch on what it used to be. I just had a short drive to fish the R Aire below Leeds. I had a recce on Sunday, and it looked in perfect nick, with only a slight upstream breeze. This morning it still looked good, but all I managed was a couple of brown trout, about a pound and a bit each, and one more that smashed my hook length, probably another trout. I could have done with a longer rod, because the wind changed to blowing downstream, with pretty strong gusts. I got a few bites but just couldn't suss out how to hit them, despite ringing all the usual changes. I should have tried the feeder, but persisted with the float, thinking I would work it out eventually, but no.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Sounds like you did alreet in the conditions John.

I very rarely use a hooklength and so don't really get smashed up :).

i donn't know how long your rod was but a longer rod does help when you have a problematic downstream wind.

I think i'd rather blank with tye float rod than catch on a ledger lol....

12 hours ago, Tigger said:

Sounds like you did alreet in the conditions John.

I very rarely use a hooklength and so don't really get smashed up :).

i donn't know how long your rod was but a longer rod does help when you have a problematic downstream wind.

I think i'd rather blank with tye float rod than catch on a ledger lol....

I was hoping the roach would show Ian, but I seem to get more trout from there than anything else. I've no idea why they stocked so many, the greedy buggers get to your bait before others have a chance, they're a bit like carp in that respect. I was using my normal 13ft rod but I'm trying to convince myself that my number of sessions can justify paying out for a longer rod, and there are some pretty crap long rods out there, so I'll bide my time. 

Apart from the struggle to catch, the state of the stretch saddened me. I collected a carrier bag full of rubbish from around my peg, and about 50yds of line that looked a good 10lb bs. It's an area that used to be all industry, and has been neglected for many years, so much that although the Leeds water is several miles long, there are relatively few spots to fish from. That's one of the reasons I'm thinking of not joining next year, most of their waters I've visited this season have been neglected, and are badly over grown. It's a far cry from when I was a member in it's hay day, regular working parties on nearly all waters. I don't suppose the much lower membership, with a much higher average age, justifies, or supports the effort needed to maintain most of their waters. Another victim of the popularity of commercial carp waters. :(

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

To be honest John , I prefer neglected, rarely or better still unfished waters (obviously not full of litter like the one you fished) even if I have to squeeze inbetween a bit of jungle.  I actively seek out such places in order to avoid meeting up with numpty anglers lol.

No idea about your river, but silvers do seem to migrate towards the tidal waters in many rivers these days so maybe they were thin on the ground in your spot?

Those stocked trout really are a bad idea, they're usually sterile so can't reproduce and are merely carnivorus eating machines which will do way more harm to fish stocks than all the other predators put together....no wonder roach are thin on the ground!

They are no longer stocked in the rivers local to me.

I haven't used any really long rods and only used a couple of models in 15ft rods but I know several people who are very much into longer fishing rods and I have handled a few.

The browning 15ft 6inch spliced rod which I got not long ago feels excellent, being very light and stiff and the handle is nice and comfy to hold.  The drennan accolyte rods in 15ft are also excellent and drennan also do a 17 footer which i've played with but never used.  A friend of mine has the 17 footer and he gives it the thumbs up.

So the rods i've just mentioned are all well worth checking out if you do decide to get a longer one.  There are a few videos showing them on youtube if you feel like checking them out.  I'm positive Alan Scothorn had a lot to do with the design/action of the drennan acolyte rods and he is using a 17 footer in one video.

Personally I wouldn't go beyond the 15 tf 6 inch rod which I have.  The prices of the rods isn't cheap, but if you shop around you can pick up some serious bargains.  As an example I got my browning 15 footer for half price!

I squeezed in another short sesh today, fished same time as yesterday and did al'reet catching a few more than yesterday, again no big fish but they all pulled back. In order to entice a bite I had to fish at least half depth overdepth, hold back and let the bow of line from the bulk shot to the float drag the bunch of maggots along the river bed which is pretty tricky on a river full of snags

IMG-0345.jpg

IMG-0341.jpg

Edited by Tigger
Wrong picture

New years day and I had to go and try for some chub....mission accomplished....

IMG-0350.jpg

IMG-0355.jpg

IMG-0357.jpg

Forgot to mention i got my first fish of 2020 on my very first trot :).

Edited by Tigger
  • Like 2

Talking of fish jumping out of the net. When I was a teenager fishing for perch from a rowing boat on Loch Faskally, I had a tangle and the bare hook was hanging out of the side. To my amazement a small sea trout took the hook. I got him in the boat, but before I could get the hook out he somehow got free and jumped out into the water. Not really a problem as I'd have put him back anyway. But then he jumped back into the boat again!

john clarke