A few hours out yesterday.....

Tigger

Tigger,

Only once did I remotely enjoy fishing in the very cold.  October 1964 in Alaska arctic grayling are  about all that was available. The water in the streams is still flowing but the line freezes on the cast and on the retrieve. It took some getting used to for sure.  Half a day twice was enough for me. 4 lb mono but don't let Gozzer know I was on occasion dink fishing.

BTW it is quite common for pike to do exactly what happened to you but with grayling although it has never happened to me.

Phone

• Like 1

I've always wanted to go trotting for those Alaskan grayling Phone!!

Feel free to invite me over for several weeks!!

Err, I meant to say several months !!! :)

Edited by Tigger

I had the last hour of daylight on the river today and it was more than enough!  Ok, it was only 6 degrees but the wind made it feel much colder and it made my hands and especially my fingers ache like hell.

Anyhow, the hours trotting/torture produced quite a few small chub and I lost one that felt quite decent to a hook pull.

IMG-0432.jpg

IMG-0430.jpg

IMG-0427.jpg

• Like 3

I had several hours roving the river today but despite the temps being up and covering nearly 3 miles of river I had very little success.  All I caught was two small chub and one looked as though it had had a narrow escape from something or other....

IMG-0442.jpg

Some pics of the chub with the recent looking scars...

IMG-0439.jpg

IMG-0441.jpg

IMG-0441.jpg

IMG-0440.jpg

Edited by Tigger
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Phone said:

Tigger,

Not likely to survive IMO. Cyprinus  fish, I'm assuming that is the family (?) have a major portion of their brain located slightly ahead of that wound.

Phone

Would that be its BUM?

Brain under mutilation:whistling:

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

A few years back, I took my wife to see some friends in Tadcaster on the river Wharfe. While they went shopping I made my way to the bridge over the river to see what was happening, and took a couple of sausage rolls to eat, and share with the resident chub shoal. While watching about a dozen or so chub scrambling for each piece of sausage, I saw a large pike slowly drift across the current to position itself just downstream from the shoal. Before it could get close enough to strike, they moved off upstream. The pike followed at a distance, and went into a large patch of weed. A few moments later the weed bed erupted and clouds of silt spread out across the area. Then a chub of about 1.5lb shot out of the cloud and swam to the rear of the reassembled shoal. There was blood flowing from a large gash behind its dorsal fin, it looked very much like the fish in your picture. It looked agitated for a few moments, but within a couple of minutes, it was competing with the other chub for my free offerings. I watched it for another 20 mins or so, the bleeding stopped, and the fish carried on acting just like the rest of the shoal.

It's incidents like this, along with several others, that have convinced me that fish do not 'feel' pain in the same way we do. No amount of 'evidence' created in an artificial environment has/will change my belief.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Even when I was hit with a car and knocked head first into a stone wall last year I ate food shortly after, pain didn't stop me from eating.

They've got to eat asap re-generate and recover.

Check out injured animals/mamals/birds etc that have legs missing and other horrific injuries and they go and eat as soon as possible.  

Personally, I believe fish do feel pain, but as a hook through the lip usually leaves no signs of damage and the pain is short lived then I can cope with it, especialy as the fish are being rewareded with jack bit. 

If i'm honest I do avoid live baiting nowadays as knowing a creature is struggling for it's life whilst being impaled through it's body on hooks my conscience gets the better of me.

• Like 1

Tigger,

Loosen your grip on that tree or you'll spoil a nice thread about catching fish.

In our world, about the only creatures that do not kill other creatures to get their raw materials and energy are the plants. Plants get their raw materials from the air and the ground, and their energy from sunlight. The rest of us have to eat other creatures, which involves the death of that creature, either plant or animal.

We do have to eat, but we don't have to cause pain is the veggin theory - but how do we know.

Much too philosophical for a thread about fishing

Phone