A few hours out yesterday.....

Tigger

Fisher F75 will do it doesnt leave much behind!

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• 4 weeks later...

Due to the rivers round my neck of the woods being in flood for a some time now and not fit for float fishing, today was my first time out trotting for a spell.  I only set off to the river at 2pm  as it was a spare of the minuite decision. Whilst the sun was out it didn't feel so cold, but as soon as it went behind clouds and started to set the wind made the temp of 6.5 degrees feel like minus 10!

Anyhow I did manage five chub and lost two to hook pulls as I played them upstream in a powerful flow.  Here's four I caught in one swim...

IMG-0486.jpg

Edited by Tigger
Spelling mistakes
  • Like 1

Thanks Phone, the black spot on the gill plate is some kind'a wormy parasite that lives in the fish's guts.i think the black spots are cycts containing young worms, maybe eggs, I don't know antthing else about them. You often see the spots on roach also.  As far as i'm aware it doesn't kill the fish.  Maybe if they get infested with the worms it might become serious...?

I'e just looked it up on google and apparently its a worm that lives in birds, they crap out it's eggs which hatch as worms, then the worms go and penetrate snails etc.  The fish eat the snails and the worms attatch to the fish as cycts.  When the fish is eated by a bird the cycle repeats itself.

Edited by Tigger
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tigger said:

Thanks Phone, the black spot on the gill plate is some kind'a wormy parasite that lives in the fish's guts.i think the black spots are cycts containing young worms, maybe eggs, I don't know antthing else about them. You often see the spots on roach also.  As far as i'm aware it doesn't kill the fish.  Maybe if they get infested with the worms it might become serious...?

I'e just looked it up on google and apparently its a worm that lives in birds, they crap out it's eggs which hatch as worms, then the worms go and penetrate snails etc.  The fish eat the snails and the worms attatch to the fish as cycts.  When the fish is eated by a bird the cycle repeats itself.

Yup, that's the one Ian. The fish we used to catch in the Leeds Liverpool canal when I was a kid, were nearly all afflicted with this parasite, and in severe cases, they were blinded. Some were blind in one eye, some in both, and other than the blindness they looked healthy enough. It used to fascinate us how a completely blind roach, could still find our baits, but they did. The canal was almost over run with snails. If you picked something from the canal bed, it always had several snails on it. Leave a keepnet, or landing net in the water for a while, and you would find several attached when you lifted it out. The water also had a lot of gulls patrolling the lengths, so had all three of the requirements to complete the life cycle of the worm. 

When I've fished it in recent years, I've found that the snails are not there in such numbers, and the black spot is seen on fewer fish. There are also some waters I know, where there are loads of snails, but few fish with that with black spot. I don't know if there is a specific snail that is prone to carrying the parasite, or it's the water quality that curbs it's numbers, but there seems to be fewer waters that have are as affected as the canal used to be.

John.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

A half hearted session for the latter part of this afternoon proved to be a decent little session.  No big fish but plenty of them.  First swim produced only two fish....

IMG-0489.jpg

Second swim kept producing and I filled my net head up with some of them foe a pic...

IMG-0492.jpg

Edited by Tigger
  • Like 1

Ian, I've 2 very nice Centrepins, one loaned to a work mate & one loaned  to my cousin.

When I get em' back - 1 of them is yours.for postage only.

(I've others I use so don't worry 'bout me)

Will PM you when they're ready!!

Edited by Martin56
  • Thanks 1

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

On 3/8/2020 at 12:05 PM, Tigger said:

Thanks Martin, that's very kind of you bud :).

Both are cracking reels -  un branded but made by the late great Ken Smith (one time England fishing team Manager & Tool maker at our local power station)

Tool makers could do all sorts on Nights then & Based on the "Leeds Reel" but better!!

The Legendary Dave Thomas used these reels designed by Ken!!

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!