A few hours out yesterday.....

Tigger

1 hour ago, Tigger said:

Be a while yet before I catch any barbel, the rivers shut for coarse fishing until the 16th june.the EA had a vote wether to keep the closed season on rivers, or to remove it.  The majority vote was to remove the usless closed season as they did on still waters many years ago...so the EA have kept it, why have a vote FFS!

The rivers around my area have been unfishable for the biggest part of the winter , and a lot of last summer also!  I might just keep it quiet and go anyhow!   I know lots of places where no one ventures during the closed season.  

Most probably its like council 'consultations' and votes its mandatory to have them but they are under no obligation to impose the results.

Our council had a vote of all residents if they wanted to remain with the council or join a new council run housing association ,the vote to stay was massive! This appeared to annoy the council who brought in ledgislation once a council house bacame empty it became an assotiation house so they had the vote but ignored it and now run both the council house scheme and the council run assotiation in parallel at no doubt a higher cost.

Give a waste of skin the power to do something to annoy others and they will use it!

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I've never made it a secret that I'm in favour of a closed season, preferably regional ones to meet the needs of different areas. I've said before that I well remember the 60s when rivers were classed as trout, mixed, or coarse fisheries. There was just a couple of weeks from the closing of the coarse season, and the start of the trout season. You were allowed to bait fish the waters classed as trout and mixed fisheries from the start of the trout season, using maggots and worms. It was just a ploy to allow the catching of coarse fish, because some of the 'mixed' fisheries rarely saw a  trout, maybe one or two a year. I admit that during my teens, I took advantage of this, and 'accidently' caught plenty of coarse fish, while failing miserably to catch the elusive trout. I started to notice, especially on the most popular stretches, 'anglers' finding where the fish were shoaling prior to spawning, and having great 'sport'. The fact that the fish were so densely packed that most were foul hooked, and shed milt and eggs when handled, didn't seem to bother some of them. Although I moved on if I found myself fishing such a swim, many did not, and I had many an argument on the bank, and in the clubs, but some couldn't see a problem. I've never been squeamish about the things in angling that often cause outrage amongst the anglers of today, but the sights I saw then sickened me. It was so bad that I packed in fishing during the 'closed season', and the general selfish attitude of some of the anglers, nearly caused me to pack it in completely.  That was the practical side to my reasoning, the other was the traditional one, where the anticipation of the opening day, and the freshness of the banks early season, were a much loved part of the whole angling package.

In 1968, (I think that was the year) we had an outbreak of foot and mouth, and all the rural fisheries were out of bounds for several months. They were closed from about sept/oct, until the end of the season. It was decided that there would be no closed season on any society waters where the landowners allowed, so the 69(?) season started three months early. Whether it was a coincidence, or not, I've never been sure, but the following season saw a massive reduction in fry numbers, it took years to redress the balance. I only fished the Yorkshire water board area in those days, so I can't speak for the rest of the country, but it certainly affected us. 

The abolition of the closed season on stillwaters was IMO, only done for financial reasons to appease the commercial fisheries, and the tackle trade. The irony being that the local tackle trade is partly losing out because many 'commercial' fisheries have their own tackle shops on site. 

I've long since stopped actively campaigning for what I believe are the right things for angling, being dismissed as a moaning old git, looking at the past through rose tinted glasses. I do however, still like to dip my toes in occasionally, and muddy the waters a little.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Nothing wrong with a closed season ,if it disapears impose your own one !

Is it nessesary though ,it used to be it was when fish bred but they now breed outside of it in warmer years ,on the other hand the fish would appreciate the extra food just when they need it

It was a time when you revarnished your rods but modern ones dont really need more than a wipe! regreasing your reels takes moments some owners not bothering at all and the hours of making floats long gone except in the more dedicated..

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

All,

I forgot about the "closed season" thing since having never experienced it.  Well - that's not exactly true, we do have species you can only fish for a couple weeks a year.  A case in point Spoonbill can only be caught by snagging.  The snagging season is maybe a month(?).

Since I don't understand the need for a closed season in the 21st century I'm pretty sure Gozzer is indeed """a moaning old git,""".

Phone

• Haha 1

Tigger,

Same is true here - the winter weather dictates when to go fishing.  However, our States in the deep South are fished year around and quite heavily. State and National hatcheries stock about half a billion fish annually.

Phone

Luxury ,we dream of sanitory products all we get is carrier bags!

2 hours ago, Tigger said:

Phone, pretty much all that gets stocked into my local river is womens sanitary towels, tampax, wet wipes and litter on a massive scale!

What no condoms??

We used to catch them regularly when fishing the Calder. They put a good bend in the rod if you hook them in the open end, and they've have had me reaching for the landing net on a few occasions! I never actually used the landing net though, even the biggest ones could be swung onto land to be carefully unhooked with the forceps. :yucky:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I won't touch 'em, I just snip the line as close as possible without touching the invasive barstewards and bury them.

Last summer I was sat watching a m8 of mine fishing and he was outside a sewage oitlet.  He actually hooked a solid human turd and played it in.  I was shocked because he proceeded to bit his line off a few inches above the effin hook and turd !!!

I asked him if he was off his head or what and he just laughed and said somethings gonn'a kill ya!  He reckons because he never washes his hands he's become emune to most germs.  I didn't hang around after that and even though I hadn't touched ewt I had to have a shower when I got home!