A few hours out yesterday.....

Tigger

I had a nice day on a couple of club still waters yesterday.  I met up with Mike on the first water, he was already set up and fishing.  He'd been fishing for a couple of hours and hadn't had any sign of a bite. As we stood chatting we saw three grass snakes swimming about right under our feet!  The water was choked with weeds and everytime Mike wound his set up back in it was covered in slimey green algea/weed.  Even if he had managed to hook a fish, retrieving it through all the flotsum and jetsume which was floating on the surface and the weed below would have been very tricky!

Because of the bleak out look we decided to go elsewhere and so he wrapped up and we set off to another similar water some 30 miles away.  It turned out to be a wise move and we both had some nice carp which gave some decent little battles before they were netted.

Weatherwise it was strange as when I set out from the home it was very cloudy and dull and there was even a little drizzle, but by the time I had reached the first venue it was blazing sun and despite wearing a brimmed hat my face now resembles a freshly peeled beatrute!

Sorry, but unfortunately I forgot to take any pic's :(.

• Like 2

I had a wander along the Wey today ,i hope it improves by 15th june ,not a sign of a fish ,not a ripple of even a trout rise !

Just got another 100 yards further up as my son is now renting a couple of fields for kids horse but in the past its been emptied of fish and only crayfish abound due to EA not looking after it and letting it silt up by not opening up the weirs to let the silt go downstream ,got permission to detect on it so not all bad

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Tigger,

What the 'ell. I would have rather seen the nasty venue than a nice carp.  I is very uncommon for a venue to be badly out of balance this time of year.  Wait a couple months on this side of the pond. The snakes often startle me but I'm not fearful. Driving 30 miles to go fishing would fit right in if you was in a pickup truck

Phone

3 hours ago, Phone said:

Tigger,

What the 'ell. I would have rather seen the nasty venue than a nice carp.  I is very uncommon for a venue to be badly out of balance this time of year.  Wait a couple months on this side of the pond. The snakes often startle me but I'm not fearful. Driving 30 miles to go fishing would fit right in if you was in a pickup truck

Phone

These grass snakes would cause you no panic Phone, they arn't venomous or aggressive.  We only have two kinds of snakes over here in the uk, one  of them is non venomous and one has a pretty weak venoum that may be like a wasp sting to many.  Obviously it might cause a reaction with some people and could be the end of em!

2 hours ago, Tigger said:

These grass snakes would cause you no panic Phone, they arn't venomous or aggressive.  We only have two kinds of snakes over here in the uk, one  of them is non venomous and one has a pretty weak venoum that may be like a wasp sting to many.  Obviously it might cause a reaction with some people and could be the end of em!

3 snakes (perhaps 4 ish) and one put me in hospital for 4 days ! Never seen a smooth snake but then many haven't seen sand lizards or natterjack toads which are seen occasionally here ,i think our old cat saw many sand lizards off !

I actually saw an adder swimming once but perhaps something scared it into the pond from their usual basking area on a sandy bank along side the pond

Theres also slow worms they look like snakes but are lizards without legs ,absolutely tons of them here i find a score or so in the composter when i empty it ,and theres usualy a couple under the car mat i have under the satellite dish to stop the plants growing under it and obscuring the signal

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Your right Chesters, I totally forgot about the smooth snake.

Sloworms are lizards but look looke a snake.  I've caught and played with adders, slow worms and lots of sand lizards and green lizards as a kid.  I loved em all, still do!

We used to have a lot of lizards in the stone walls round our place in anglesey.  Wierd how their tails drop off at the point you grab hold of em.  When they grow it back it's a different colour for a while.  The bit of tail keeps wriggling also to keep a predators attention on it.  There were a number of snakes and slow worms on anglesey also. They would get squashed on the roads whilst sunbathing!

I remember an old chaps jack russel was bitten by an adder and it died shortly after.

No snakes round here, as far as I know the earest lizards are 20 miles away on ainsdale sand dunes, lots of natterjack toads also.  Manys the time i'd digg up the toads when I was digging up a ferret as it was killing a rabbit not too far below the surface.

You should uave disposed of the cat chesters, I wouldn't have imagined you being a cat person lol.

Edited by Tigger

All,

Tigger, sounds to me like Chesters1 fits into a category we often find in the US. Some over here will tell you there are only two kinds of snakes, poisonous snakes and dead snakes. Snakes were never a problem for me except as mentioned, no one likes being startled by nature.

Phone

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tigger said:

Your right Chesters, I totally forgot about the smooth snake.

Sloworms are lizards but look looke a snake.  I've caught and played with adders, slow worms and lots of sand lizards and green lizards as a kid.  I loved em all, still do!

We used to have a lot of lizards in the stone walls round our place in anglesey.  Wierd how their tails drop off at the point you grab hold of em.  When they grow it back it's a different colour for a while.  The bit of tail keeps wriggling also to keep a predators attention on it.  There were a number of snakes and slow worms on anglesey also. They would get squashed on the roads whilst sunbathing!

I remember an old chaps jack russel was bitten by an adder and it died shortly after.

No snakes round here, as far as I know the earest lizards are 20 miles away on ainsdale sand dunes, lots of natterjack toads also.  Manys the time i'd digg up the toads when I was digging up a ferret as it was killing a rabbit not too far below the surface.

You should uave disposed of the cat chesters, I wouldn't have imagined you being a cat person lol.

Cats are better than dogs ,if you forget to feed them they go to the other person who thinks its their cat lol

There was an interesting program where they tagged all the cats in a village then showed their wanderings! A few kept around their garden but some had regular rounds where they visited several houses a day  ,the owners thought the cat was theres but the cat had different ideas and owned several humans

• Like 2

On 5/20/2020 at 11:59 PM, chesters1 said:

Cats are better than dogs ,if you forget to feed them they go to the other person who thinks its their cat lol

There was an interesting program where they tagged all the cats in a village then showed their wanderings! A few kept around their garden but some had regular rounds where they visited several houses a day  ,the owners thought the cat was theres but the cat had different ideas and owned several humans

We have a black short haired, 10 year old puddytat who loves her Mamma & Dadda' but kills rats for fun!!

Yes she's a little Sh*t at times but still our baby & loves to cuddle up!!!

Edited by Martin56
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!