A few hours out yesterday.....

Tigger

Never play with things that can knock you down !

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Our Cat's had one or 2 run ins with Magpies (& came second) however she fetched a large dead rat home yesterday which a Magpie duly made short work of!!

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

I have whitnessed a bunch of magpies killing a rabbit some years ago ,took about an hour continually harrasing it until it seemed just to give up.

The amusing thing was a minute after it stopped moving a dog ran over scattered the 15-20 magpies away and pinched it!

Once breeding is over the back field will be covered with a sea of magpies and jackdaws they get along to a point but are well matched and a bit of bread chucked over the hedge starts a gang war !

You got to entertain yourself in the country!

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

We've lived in this house over 16 years with no rabbits up to yesterday.

Then the puddytat killed a baby rabbit & dumped it at the door!!

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

There will be more about this year i guess ,less killed on the road because theres been a couple of months less traffic .

We only have 2 in the back field mixy took the rest last year so i guess these recovered and are now immune? Hopefuly they are male and female and not gay or thats it until the babies spotted round the corner mature and move on .

Babies are unlucky we were walking up the road and saw a baby run out under a car ,if it had kept going to the other side would have survived but it decided to return as it cleared the car and the back wheel caught it

no doubt a fox had a nice lunch that night ,i put it in the hedge left in the road it would turn into a smudge very quickly serving little purpose. Deer come home!

Thinking about it it will be a bumper year for all wildlife traffic kills other things aswell as bunnies

Edited by chesters1

• 3 weeks later...

I had a walk over the fields today to an old bell mine that's formed a small pond, god only knows how long ago.  Anyhow the pool has began to get encroached on badly by reeds and weed, so there isn't a lot of open water left.  I was thinking of wading out and pulling up a lot of the reeds and maybe raking out some weed to create more open water but i'm a little more than nervous of sliding under the silted up bottom into the shaft so maybe not.  I would have a go if someone had a rope tied to me, well see.

I had loads of little rudd and perch.  I wanted one of the little tench i've had in years past but I only stayed about an hour as I heard people walking along a nearby path and I didn't want to be seen fishing, if people got wind of there being a few fish in the pond it would be destroyed in quick fashion!

No need for much tackle....

IMG-0526.jpg

IMG-0533.jpg

IMG-0529.jpg

IMG-0537.jpg

IMG-0543.jpg

IMG-0545.jpg

IMG-0539.jpg

Edited by Tigger
  • Like 2

When i lived in folkestone a fishing chum and i started visiting farms with ponds on (theres a surprising amount) most just said have a go there baint no fish in them ,most did ,most looked like your pond and most contained lots of stunted fish .

Some where better where the drains and ditches were maintained and some big perch! My favourite one was at the warren in folkestone ,gone now but fairly big in the 60's with some nice fish

Now the laws about maintaing ditches have long gone the thousands of roadside ponds used for drovers for hundreds of years are quickly disapearing .There was a large pond near my old pond 150 years ago now all thats left is alarge green area of long grass and signes of the ditch that once fed it .

Its a shame if the world goes tits up steam engines cannot transport goods any more only the water to keep them going ! All the roadside oonds they used to fill up are gone!

Your set up is the same as mine except the rod is the same age as the reel ,its been with me as  long as the mrs and we met in 1972

Edited by chesters1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, chesters1 said:

When i lived in folkestone a fishing chum and i started visiting farms with ponds on (theres a surprising amount) most just said have a go there baint no fish in them ,most did ,most looked like your pond and most contained lots of stunted fish .

Some where better where the drains and ditches were maintained and some big perch!

Now the laws about maintaing ditches have long gone the thousands of roadside ponds used for drovers for hundreds of years are quickly disapearing .There was a large pond near my old pond 150 years ago now all thats left is alarge green area of long grass and signes of the ditch that once fed it .

Its a shame if the world goes tits up steam engines cannot transport goods any more only the water to keep them going ! All the roadside oonds they used to fill up are gone!

Yup, used to be loads of old shafts/bell mines round here which had turned into little ponds.  Unfortunately farmers have and still do fill 'em in without a thought for the frog,, toads and newts etc that live in them!

That pond in my pic's had some nice perch and rudd to a pound or more a number of years ago, and I often caught tench to 1 1/2 lb.  It was very alkward to fish today with it being so overgrown. I do think the tench and larger rudd and perch will still be in there but prolly being beat to the bait by smaller fish.

As you say most of the fish look stunted and are slim giving them the appearance of large eyes.  The tench always looked super though and I do hope they are still alive and well.

• Like 1

ALL,

TIGGER, In the U.S. we've all but  lost variations in the HOLSTEINS. From two bulls  we have nine million dairy cows.

I have no  complaint but AI has not protected important variations in the breed

Phone