A few hours out yesterday.....

Tigger

I had a few hoirs out yesterday and then again today, had a good few chub yesterday and so e huge dace.  Not a sign of a barbel though. A few pic's from yesterday...

IMG-0564.jpg

IMG-0567.jpg

IMG-0571.jpg

Today I lost a foul hooled barbel but before the hook puled out of it I had a good look at it and it was maybe the biggest barbel i'd ever had, although it wouldn't have counted even if i'd caught it anyhow.  I lost another to a hook pull which was so powerful I couldn't get it up enough to see in 3ft of water before the hook pulled.  Maybe it was foul hooked also?

Anyhow, I walked a distance downstream and fish a snaggy area on the opposite bank. I had a number of chub to a couple or more pounds and then managed my first barbel of the season...only a little one but it's a barbel :)).

IMG-0578.jpg

• Like 1

I am envious!

Took a stroll along the river at 6 am ,not a rise nor fish nor shadow of a fish bugger knows where they have gone ,not even a cray fish !

Son had a fine chub and his daughter a hard fighting trout in the half mile or so we have above the weir ,i expect the cormerants took anything smaller even they have left the area! Very unusual usually trout are in plague proportions

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Chesters, in all honesty, I really had to put the work in to get those fish.

I walked about 4 miles of river there and back and dropped in negating steep bankings etc.  Walking in the river is hard work as the combination of shallow fast water pushing againts you and slippery algea covers rocks of all shapes and sizes beneath your feet is pretty naff.  My feet are very sore atm.

This is the snag pit where I managed to prize that,little barbel from....

IMG-0582.jpg

IMG-0583.jpg

The river is low now and at this particular spot which is about 70yds wide I can just get across (if on tip toes) in my thigh waders in order to try and sprize fish from that mess.

The water right up in those snags is only about a foot deep.

Because the river is low and temps so high the fish seem to have gone into hiding and to look at it you would think the river was void of fish.

For me this first few sessions on the river have been pretty naff and i've had to literally hunt the buggers down!

I very much hope things improve as the season progresses.

• Like 1

Had another go today in seering heat.  Mad dogs and englishmen go out in the midday sun lol.

I won't go on about the arduous walk there etc and just say what I caught.

I had a large dace first off, then a tiddly barbel...

IMG-0588.jpg

After that I had a few more dace and then nothing for quarter of an hour.  I decided to remove the float and add a link leger to do some touch legerring.  First tap was an eel of about 3lb, hooked just in the mouth so easily removed.  Then I had a barbel....

IMG-0590.jpg

Same fish looks a different colour on a different angle...

IMG-0592.jpg

I had a good few dace after that and then got fed up with catching them and re tackled my float.  I moved a couple of hundred yards downstream to do some trotting.

Anyhow, I had a few very decent chub ...

IMG-0598.jpg

IMG-0605.jpg

By now my face was red as a beatrute and so I made my way back to the wheels and home for a drink!

• Like 2

TIGGER,

One of the "differences" between here and there is that many fishes in the same general family as carp are FAIR HOOKED anywhere in the face area mostly and loosely anything in front of the gill plates

Phone

Edited by Phone

Phone, over here the fish has had to have been tricked into eating the bait and so to count as a catch it must be hooked in the mouth.

All the fish i've pictured have been caught hooked in their lips/mouth.

The weights on the barbels body are just the link leger resting on top of it rather than the float lol.

• Like 1

I popped over to a local stream today, only got there at 5pm and the weather was touch and go having had thunder storms and heavy rain on and off all day.  I was only intending on having an hours dace fishing.

Anyhow, I got to my swim and started trotting, several trotts down the swim and I got a dace.  Then I had some more and things were looking promising for a good number of dace but what turned out to be my last one was latched onto by esox.  After a tusstle esox came free and I brought the dace in.  It was in a bit of a state but it should be ok in a few weeks unless it becomes infected or get seaten by another esox or predator through not being 8n tip top fettle.

I had a few more trotts through with no bites so esox had well and truly spoiled the party.

It didn't really matter as the river had began to rise alarmingly and had changed from bad visibility to pretty much zero visibility due to sediment coming down.  The extra water coming down was also bringing all kinds of objects including some quite large branches etc, time to go.

So, i'd only had half an hours fishing, but i'd scratched an itch and had some fresh air.  On my walk back I met a land owner who gave me permission to fish on his stretch of river....exclusively :).

here's the poor dace looking worse for wear...

IMG-0612.jpg

IMG-0611.jpg

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Phone said:

Tigger,

I say NO chance for that fish.  The location of the lateral line nerve center is not far from the wound.

PHONE

You might be right Phone, i'm sure something will consume it if it does pop it's cloggs.