A few hours out yesterday.....

Tigger

Managed to get on the river mid afternoon today.  I had some banter with a few anglers I know and caught fish also :).

No monsters but three decent barbel and one decent chub.  I had a good few small chub and dace with a few annoying minows hangling themselves on the 14's superspade hook stuffed with maggots or corn and maggots, no idea how they get their gobs round it all !

funny how these two fish both had a large chunk missing from the top half of their tails...

IMG-0663.jpg

IMG-0666.jpg

• Like 2

Quick couple of hours on the river today, lots of small chub dace and roach, a few decent chub and one clonking chub.

Lost a barbel to a hook pull and another because my line caught an obstacle just above the hook as the rod was bent double!

Pic of one of the decent chub...

IMG-0670.jpg

Pic of the clonkin chub...

IMG-0668.jpg

• Like 1

TIGGER,

The chub must have has a recent wreck Reminds me of the old joke - you know what a fish says when it runs into a wall?

dam!

Sorry you lost the barbel to a bad knot - err -  I mean snag. Happens to the best of us

Phone

Phone,

The Chubs face was perfect, just looks iffy because it's pushed into the grass and you can't see it properly.  It has a few marks on it's body but it was a nice looking fish in the flesh. 

The barbel...the line was deff'o cut off on something.  My dropper shot was about 6 inches from my hook and the line was cut only a couple of inches below the shot.  I felt like kicking myself up the @rse after as I didn't hold my rod up high enough to keep the line angled more steeply away from the fishe and also any rocks, which the river bottom is made up of.  

I hate leaving hooks in fish, only good thing (if there is one, which there isn't really) is the hook was only a size 14's drennan super spade so hopefully won't be too much of a burden for it until someone catches it and removes it.

TIGGER,

Just pulling your chain a bit. If that hasn't happened you're new to fishing or not very good.

I'm not familiar with the hook you mention.  I doubt you can buy it off the shelf over here. Spade end hooks begin at about 2. No that's not a typo.

I had a different philosophy on hooks based on studies in the 60's I took part in. Common carp rust out a ferrous #4 hook in 4 to 7 days depending on temp and acidity of the water.  Since my end tackle was "a hook" period I changed very well examined inexpensive hooks with - if not every cast than very nearly every cast.  The problem was - very inexpensive hooks became very expensive. Had to throw around half of them away after examining them under a 2X glass. I suspect that's why non ferrous hooks became so popular, they hold their point far better. 

Just wondering, why spade end for a fish with a soft jaw?  Don't ask for my help, I couldn't hold a #14 in my lap

Phone

If its not the knot failing it doesnt matter if its ring or spade ,i tend to use spade 16 and smaller (mostly because thats what you get in ready tied) and ringed in larger ,if my knot in the ringed ones fail its my fault ,if the knot fails in the spade hooks its someone elses fault and if the line breaks somewhere else its an accident lol

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Obviously knots can fail no matter how precise you are when tying them.  It has happened to me but very rarely, reason being I do my best to tie the knot as prcisely as possible and then do several prolonged pulls and sharp tuggs on it to test it's metal....remember i'm talking about my fishing tackle here ? .  If my hook gets stuck in something e.g. a sunken tree and I have to get hold of my line with my hand and pull for a break or try and pull the hook free my line usually breaks above the hook, so not at the knot.  This isn't good for me as for the biggest part I fish 4 or 6lb mono straight through to the hook and so I have lost my float if the line snaps above it and I can't wade out to retrieve it.  That happens so rarely though and on most occassions my hook will either bend out and come free, or my line snaps around the shotting area.

Tigger,

A couple things I failed to follow up on. First, with your new machine being slightly larger the angle when fishing with the rod in question intrigues me. Usually a setup fishes best if the reel is perfectly horizontal at rest. It just looks like your combination in the picture will be fished with the reel tilted 10 - 15 degrees or more. It may be the rod design?

Second, aren't those hooks forged? Not supposed to bend buy rather simply break or pull in tact.

Phone

Phone, the reel does hang straight /horizontalas any other one does.

I think the hooks are forged, not sure though without checking the packet.  They do bend out, especially if only the tip of the hook has penetrated something.  This often happens if the hook gets stuck on a hard piece of wood.  That is one other reason why I like fishing with the set up I use.  The 6lb line snaps at about 8lb in reality and it has just enough strength to bend a hook out if the point hasn't gone into something to deeply.  

I know I could use a lower diameter/breaking strain  bottom so it would snap off well below my float but that would mean using a higher breaking strain mainline.  Also, I dislike weak links in my set up, I much prefer to fish my mainline straight through to my hook, especially when fishing for barbel and chub.

• Like 1