A few hours out yesterday.....

Tigger

I popped over to the river for a couple of hours swimming the stream this afternoon, the fish weren't very forthcoming and all I managed after standing mid river in a cold wind and showers was the small barbel in the picture and a little squab barbel of about 10 ounces.

I was glad I had a packable puffer jacket in the car as the wind really did chill the blood!

IMG-0685.jpg

• Like 1

TIGGER, 

Wait, where's the piccy of the second fish?

One of the few things I did consistently right when fishing - A change of shoes and socks and a warm but light weight jacket. I did not have the benefit of today's technology. We didn't have "puffy" but even today I think I would stick with goose down - just puffy.

The other fish was just an even smaller version of the one pictured, just wasn't worth wading back to the bank to take a pic of it, it's really slippy on the rocks and I look like a tight rope walker as I wade out or back in lol.

The jacket is just a thin cheap'o thing that squashes into a small bag you can easily carry, it's very light but is just enough to stop me from getting cold on a day like yesterday.  It isn't waterproof though and will soak up water quickly.

I had goose jackets in years gone by, yes they are very warm, but very heavy and thick and the feathers were forever stabbing me or just coming out.....man, they were a pain in the harris.  They took a week to dry out after getting wet or washed also.

I have a pair of old boots I put on for driving but sometimes just drive in waders or wellies lol.

• Like 1

Tigger, get yourself to an army surplus store and buy a Norwegian top, just a few quid and brilliant for warmth and not restrictive. Not waterproof but under a light waterproof coat unbeatable.

I would put a picture up of mine, issued to me 45 years ago but either the wife or daughter have hidden it because I also wear it when we have company...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

Thank's Huge, I had a drawer full of Norgies at one time!  

They made my nipples look extra long and they choked me lol.  Maybe the modern ones are a little better?

I have a couple of tops from a brand called "under armour", decent stuff and close fitting so no baggy lumps under a jacket.

Edited by Tigger
  • Thanks 1

Another short trotting sesh on a river latter this avvey.  I walked across the fields to the river and as soon as I got to a swim it started hissing down.  It was then I realised i'd left the packable waterproof wading jacket in the car, i'd also left my hand towel.  Since I was only wearing a tee shirt and didn't fancy getting soaked and maybe chilled I decided to jog back to the car and get them.

Back at the swim I caught fish on pretty much every trott, nothing big but I caught a net full in every port of call as I roaved the river bank.  As soon as the rain stoped it was immediately followed by strong winds which were so powerful they put an ark in my rod as I held it across the river trotting the float.

IMG-0688.jpg

• Like 1