A few hours out yesterday.....

Tigger

BOLDBEAR,

That's what AN is for great session with just enough hardship to let you know fishing is worthwhile and has a learning curve to be better than average. As an old duffer myself I'm proud of you hanging in there

I believe the 2nd and 3rd picture are the same fish. 

Just a quick story. Uncles had a carp fishing enterprise for restaurants and fish mongers along the river in my youth (11 or 12). i was their amusement as they were always drunk as hoot owls. The story is we thought mirror carp were regular carp with a disease we called "carp mange".  We would only catch a few a week but were hated because they were sick.  I'm now 80, well educated in carp, and still have a serious distaste for mirrors.

• Haha 1

On 8/24/2020 at 4:47 PM, BoldBear said:

6-A18-B439-31-BD-4238-9-B3-C-C7-CDBDE5-E

62605276-E01-B-4013-8-E16-158-F044514-FB

E4-BD9781-80-C9-4-AAE-909-D-5-C6114037-A

I believe the 2nd and 3rd picture are the same fish

Phone the second and third Carp are definately not the same fish. The third Carp has no Pectorial fins, (which I didn't notice at the time I took the photo) ?

The story is we thought mirror carp were regular carp with a disease we called "carp mange".  We would only catch a few a week but were hated because they were sick.  I'm now 80, well educated in carp, and still have a serious distaste for mirrors.

As I’m sure you know already; Mirror Carp, Leather Carp and Line Carp are just the result of human intervention in the past; when they were trying to produce Carp for the table with less scales on them to remove ?

After ‘Heather the Leather’ died one of my clubs lakes held the British record Leather Carp; called ‘ToadLess’ which was caught from one of its gravel pits called ‘FrogMoor‘; (NB: which is now known as Moor Mill pits) until ‘Toadless’ died last year; I think it was 43lb when it died. It was caught about once per year in its final years.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

The last one has a hand !

• Haha 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

All,

Keith's fish probably circled back on the bait. 

Alien Species and Their Effects (Chapter 4) - Freshwater Biodiversity

weirdest alien carp (killed and sequenced Cambridge Uni) - that's no carp mouth.

there was a time I was obsessed with scale patterns - young adult

Phone 

Phone, is that a marcia or similar?

If i'd been trotting on the river today I would have had 15ft of water over my head, the recent rain has swollen it quickly.

I decided to do some easy fishing and visited the same pool as I visited last week.

I didn't catch as many, only eleven today and of a smaller stamp  maybe 4lb to 7lb'ish.

They did pull back though and it was good fun catching them off the surface.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I had a bream of al things on the floating bread !

IMG-0720.jpg

IMG-0723.jpg

IMG-0725.jpg

Edited by Tigger
  • Like 1

Just got back from a couple of hours swimming the stream.  Pretty naff session to be honest, I caught a few dace and a fair few small chub.  I lost a couple of chub to the oldest trick in the book....how on earth they do that trick I just don't know, especially when your dragging them along!

The river was still higher than expected and it felt way colder than it has been.

A coupke of small chub, or maybe huge dice from the session lol....

IMG-0727.jpg

• Like 1

Hi all.  Found you at last.  Y"all disappeared from my PC and I just got "cannot find" for weeks.   Found this route on Norma"s Kindle.  Mobility has crashed a bit and I ca n I just about stagger 50 yards from car park to swim with the aid of a few puffs of triglyceride  (bloody spell checker won't let me write "nitro" and "glycerine" as one word.)  Norma does the driving  and gillies for me, even finds time to fish .   I am restricted to flat banks and still water  -  no rock-hopping, no hill-stream trouting,  no fly-fishing,  and definitely no wading.  Still, I have had 80 years of that, so can't complain (started fishing in 1940 , by myself, using tackle I made myself)  We take a holiday each year in a narrowboat so I get to fish/trot/spin/lever all day and everyday for a fortnight , so all is not lost. -  in fact life is pretty good when I am not actually having an angina attack.  I try to fish one day a week during the summer,  but winter conditions clobber my inefficient circulation so have had to give that up also.   Will close now but keep in touch .  Best fishes to all.

• Like 2

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Hi Vagabond, welcome back ?

Sorry to hear about your age related problems affecting your fishing, it’ll happen to all of us I’m sure. My winter fishing causes me circulation problems and I’m only 70 ?

Look after yourself and hope to see you posting again and sharing your fishing exploits with Norma.

tight lines

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)