A few hours out yesterday.....

Tigger

Phone,

I wouldn't go that far....pretty?  Just silver things lol.

The reel was just another pin, not used that one for a spell so gave it an airing ?.

Phone, just curous, have you ever used a centrepin reel?

TIGGER,

The answer is yes and no.

The closest I have come are the ball bering salmon/steelhead reels 4 1/2 inches and up. They cost less than $50. Even then I used one so few times and under circumstances that were unusual to me I was not impressed.  Fiddly, no particular advantage, line weight not especially balanced to anything.

Don't misunderstand - there are craftsmen reels that zoom right on by $1000. No, I have not salmon or steelhead fished with a reel of that quality.

I do have a couple nice St CROIX flyrods and reels.  But in all honesty I'm not much of a tackle tart

Phone

Phone,

I wasn't talking about using expensive reels, just asking if you had ever actually used a centrepin reel. Regarding prices, some of my mose used pins are run of the mill okuma reels, one is a sheffield and the other a adventa.  I got the adventa reel from a large outdoor shop over here a few years ago when they sold them all off for fifty notes each :).

The reason I ask is because unless you have used one and got proficient with it you won't realise just what you can get out of them.  

I do use a fixed spool reel, and even a closed faced reel from time to time but since most of my fishing is trotting a float on a river I just use the best tool for the job....for me of course.

i do use the pins on still waters for a lot of applications and again, I find them to be a better tool for the job than a fixed spool etc.

As I said, you really have to learn how to use one prificiently to get the benifits out of doing so.

You gott'a believe me Phone, it isn't a snob thing as many people seem to think. Again regarding price, many very good centrepins are cheaper than a decent fixed spool reel.

• Like 1

Tigger,

I believe you hit the nail on the head with the word "proficient". Maybe 50 - 60 years ago. I Haven't seen a competition in several years but  I Will never ceas111`e to be amazed at skill level of some pro bass anglers with baitcaster reels.

I know exactly where you are coming from - be the best you can be - -. 

I guess my nature was more with the genetic marvel of fish. I am not ashamed to say the things that matter most to UK anglers only fit the mold of A VERY few of his American counterpart.  Now, should you ever want to discuss 80mph fishing boats, I can easily find 10 experts.  

pHONE

Not a lot of good on a canal except using the electric motor

• Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Did an hours trotting on a lake outlet late this afternoon.  I had lots of dice, chublets and a single perch in my last swim.  I lost two dice to esox who killed that swim off forcing me to fish another spot where I caught a absolutly huge "DICE".  Infact it so huge I was going to weight it.  I got my dinky digital scales out, hooked on a small placcy bag and placed it on my sling pack in readyness to weight the fish.  I lifted out the landing net head and got hold of the dice, as I put the net head back in the water the bloody dice wriggled and slipped from my hand falling onto a load of laying down old nettle stalks which crossed the water and  as I reached out to get the dice it wriggled and slipped through them and fell back into the water !  It was wierd how it happened !!

IMG-0767.jpg

• Like 1