A few hours out yesterday.....

Tigger

I had a short session yesterday afternoon doing a little waggler fishing on a local club water with my son.

2-A0-E15-F7-5-B2-C-4-F30-88-DF-E22-E1098-F567.jpg

It was a nice change to be fishing out of the wind; which has been incessant over the past couple of days; and we were catching lots and lots of smallish Roach, plus a few small Carp plus a nice surprise Tench on a nice warm evening.

DA40782-A-98-F0-4-CF0-9584-52961572-D769.jpg

We were catching these nearly every cast.

A03-CB8-EA-E75-D-4426-A265-FC9-B26-DD6845.jpg

The surprise Tench which is my favourite species.

image5.png

Plus we had a few of these between us.

Keith

• Like 2

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

32 minutes ago, BoldBear said:

I had a short session yesterday afternoon doing a little waggler fishing on a local club water with my son.

2-A0-E15-F7-5-B2-C-4-F30-88-DF-E22-E1098-F567.jpg

It was a nice change to be fishing out of the wind; which has been incessant over the past couple of days; and we were catching lots and lots of smallish Roach, plus a few small Carp plus a nice surprise Tench on a nice warm evening.

DA40782-A-98-F0-4-CF0-9584-52961572-D769.jpg

We were catching these nearly every cast.

A03-CB8-EA-E75-D-4426-A265-FC9-B26-DD6845.jpg

The surprise Tench which is my favourite species.

image5.png

Plus we had a few of these between us.

Keith

nice looking pond ,much better than featureless gravel pits ,nice fish to go with it although ii prefer no carp once they get big or in numbers they radically change small ponds

• Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

1 hour ago, chesters1 said:

nice looking pond ,much better than featureless gravel pits ,nice fish to go with it although ii prefer no carp once they get big or in numbers they radically change small ponds

The club owns this fishery (rather than rent it) which used to be water cress beds back in the early 1930s and they dug it out and turned it into this nice picturesc fishery.

There are around six natural springs that erupt from the bottom which can be seen clearly when the water ices over in the winter and the spring water remains at roughly the same temperature the whole year round.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

BoldBear,

Wow!! the pond takes me back to life at a slower pace. Not so far from my home USED to be several well manicured rather formal estate ponds (by invitation only and somewhat "proper" attire).  LONG gone now, progress is what I'm told. Your pond reminds me of them. There was just NO way to hurry and become frustrated. Usually involved lunch and a break (guess you would say tea) in the afternoon

PHOTOS TURNED OUT GREAT.

Chesters1, Rarely were carp of any size allowed to remain in these ponds. One, I remember had either fancy goldfish or perhaps they were koi (?)

Phone

• Like 2

On 9/19/2020 at 3:02 PM, Martin56 said:

They don't always respond to trotting Ian, maybe take another rod that's set up - overshotted & a foot or so overdepth & held back. Put the rod it the rests & have a sandwich, with the Ratchet on (if you dare lol)

I nearly alway drag or skip the bottom Martin.  As you say they often want a static bait, I just prefer float fishing to sitting about.  If I uave to leger i'd rather touch leger and feel the fish take the bait, then strike the hook home.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2020 at 9:16 PM, Phone said:

Tigger,

I'm not buying for one second "you're not fishing so good".  You know you're not fishing so good when you pass up a chance to go. I KNOW when you are on the water you're working your arce off. Hang in there

Phone

I had an hours trotting on Tuesday just gone.  I only went late in the afternoon and was doing more of a recy as it's about 6yrs since i've been to this beat.  Anyhow, I bumped into someone I know and spent half of my time chatting to him.  Eventually when I did do a bit of trotting I had a "dice", a seatrout of about a pound and a half, a few smaller chub, one chub of about 5lb and a nice roach of about 12 ounces or  more.  I'll try and get back and fish a spot I fancy asap.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2020 at 10:30 AM, gozzer said:

I seem to be hearing the same from places all round the country Ian. Barbel seem scarcer this year, even on the usual 'hot spots' like the Trent, Severn, and Avon. Like you, I think that the heavy flooding over the winter has played a part, not the otters as a guy I met on the bank the other week kept insisting, we had a slightly heated, (more like luke warm), debate on the subject. I've not tried for them yet this year, I've reached the time of life when my approach is more sedate than it used to be. Walking a few miles of bank, to locate them is out now. I don't mind a longish walk to a spot, but then settle down and fish. I thought I'd hooked a barbel last week when I put out a couple of dedras on the leger, after the float line died on me. I was hoping for a perch, and was getting a few knocks from smaller fish, when the tip swung round a few inches. I thought I'd missed the bite and started to reel in, only for the rod to bend over as something powerful took off across the river. After about 5mins, and several runs under a willow, it suddenly turned and dived under the willow above me, and the line went solid. I tried pulling, then leaving slack for a while, but nothing. I decided to pull for a break, and tested the 5lb sensas hook length to it's limit. The 'thing' then started to move, and a decent pike surfaced under my rod tip. I was worried that it wouldn't fit into my 22ins pan net, but at the third attempt it just made it. The hook was set on the outside of the scissors, so easy to unhook. I tried to weight it in the net, but my scales batteries were dead, but at a little over 36 ins, I guessed 12lb +. It rested at my feet for more than 5 minutes before it took off it was so knackerd. I went back to catching roach, gudgeon, perch, chublets, and of course 'dice'.? An hour or so later my keepnet tried to take off, and and I'm sure it was the same bloody pike that had come back for another go! 

It's getting to the time of year I always thought of as prime barbel time, so if the weather, and new threatened lock down permit, I might get a session or two after them. 

I really must try to sort out posting pictures on here, when I get the time. 

John.

Hey John, nice report bud, as was Keiths :).

You did well getting that fresh water crock on your set up!

Great to see people post their catch reports again :).

On 9/20/2020 at 10:33 AM, gozzer said:

Not sure what's happening, but it took 3 attempts to post the above, I had to copy it, sign back in and then paste it back in to reply. Is there a new 'timed out' limit on the new layout?

John.

After losing a post about four-fifths done I produce a version off-line, then copy and paste it in.     Saves an awful lot of frustration.    Now to see about putting piccys in, 

• Like 2

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

The river was too high for trotting today so I had to have several hours on a club pool. The temp's have suddenly dropped right off and a horrible cold north north westerley made it feel much colder.  I think the temp was 15 degrees when I got there at about 2.30pm and it was 12 degrees when I left at 6.30pm. 

I freelined meat and bread whilst targetting carp and managed quite a few which really fought to avoid being landed.  I had one small fish which may or may not be a true crucian.

I'll try and post a couple of pic's but for some reason they've stopped showing?

[url=https://postimg.cc/w1P3Th58][img]https://i.postimg.cc/vm8nhhcB/IMG-0798.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=https://postimg.cc/FdzSn9xN][img]https://i.postimg.cc/j5Qh22ww/IMG-0796.jpg[/img][/url]

Edited by Tigger
  • Like 1