A few hours out yesterday.....

Tigger

9 hours ago, chesters1 said:

Sheep suicide! The thought of not being sent alive because of brexit to foreign climes to be butchered inhumanly sent it over the edge! Strange its in there sheep are very good jumpers (see what i did there) i recon someones trying to pull the wool over your eyes (again!) and chucked a dead one in ! Lol

I spotted one in a well once ,luckily the adjoining house was empty and derelict ! No amount of filters remove sheep soup!

It was right next to the farm chesters, out in the middle of nowhere, no public access.  Sheep can jump a little but once in water they can't as they become waterlogged and weigh a ton.

I told the farmer about it but he knew already, infact it was still there the other day ?.

Sheep always seem to find a way to committe suicide, even in a wide open field.

We used to live slap bang in the middle of fields and during the winter months the fields were full of sheep.  Manys the time I would look out the window to see a sheep layed on it's back with it's legs stuck straight up in the air and unable to right itself.  

If no one sees them in this state and rolls them to their feet they will die.  

First thing they always did when I righted them wasn't to run away, it was to have a huge pi$$. They mustn't be able to do it when on their backs.

I've even pulled sheep out of brambles after they have become entangled in them and again, unless someone frees them they will die as they just get more and more entangled as they struggle.

I have actually found them dead in brambles and hanging off the top of the river bank.

I've even released them from fencing when they've stuck their heads through but are unable to pull them back out due to their horns.

I reckon on half of my trips to the river I see a drowned sheep either quite rotton or fresh.  Often I see bullocks or calves which have drowned also!

Edited by Tigger

• 2 months later...

For one reason or another I haven't managed to get out fishing since the 9th of march.

Anyhow, I did manage to get out on a club water last week.  I fished a freelined bunch of maggots in the margins and caught a number of rudd and gudgeon.  A little later, after 6pm I cattied out a few pieces of bread and after a few minuites I noticed carp were having a got at it.  That was my que to try floating bread.  Within a few minuites I had a small carp which gave a fair old tug of war for it's size.  After that one I had five more carp of a similar stamp.  After the last one my hunger pangs had got the better of me and I had to go home for fear of starving lol.

The first two carp...

IMG-0953

IMG-0951

Edited by Tigger
  • Like 2

Today was my first try for a tench this year.  Anyhow, it was pretty bismal to be honest.  This water was a prolific tench water not more than 8yrs ago.  A club bailiff illegally introduced a dozen wells catfish and the tench fishing has gone down hill every year.  I used to catch seven or eight tench to 7lb on a short session of two or three hours when the club first aquired the water, I managed one small fish today.  This is the time of year when tench are on the mooch for food and are usually easy to catch right now.  The club even got a licence to keep the invasive bastards from the EA, and the water has an outlet into the river system.  The wels are coming out close to 30lbs, but, there are also 4 and 5lbers being caught, so they have bred, or someone is still releasing them.

To say i'm disgusted with the club, the EA and the scumbag bailiff who illegally stocked the catfish is an u derstatement!

Anyhow, a few pic of my session.....

072-E3104-3-E9-A-402-E-AF7-E-1653-D01-B3-D3-D

337-CCB09-059-D-45-A9-A585-5224-ACC65-CB1

DFC1291-E-009-E-4206-94-E4-E01-BC901-F647

851-B41-BB-4625-44-C7-B304-24-D15-D777657

B2-D605-E3-02-F6-436-A-ADC7-D41-B3-CBECEDB

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

After my short dissapointing session on the 16th when I only caught small chub I had to get out asap to try and get a propper bend in my rod.  Anyhow, I managed to get out yesterday later in the afternoon.  It was a lovely day and not quite so hot and uncomfortable as late, the only downside was a quite strong downstream wind which made controlling my float as I trotted it down the side of a sunken tree on the far side of the river a little alkward.  Appart from that I had a very enjoyable session, first fish was a lovely barbel and having to hit and hold it to prevent it from getting amongst the sunked tree made catching it all the more exiting!   After that I had some dace and small chub and then a barbel of a couple of pounds, followed by another even smaller barbel, and then some more dace and chub, finishing off with a gudgeon.  All in all a nice couple of hours.  

8-DBAEC01-A77-D-4-AB5-81-A1-6-BB4-B7-C31-BE9

• Like 2

Recently JWYoung centrepin company have released a new true pin called the Triton.  Anyhow, I got one yesterday and had to go a try it today.  The reel was nice to use but better at the end of the session when it had been run in a little.  There was an awful downstreem wind making fishing across river and keeping the float on line a tiresome job!  Anyhow, all I caught was dace and two small barbel, but it did mean that the reel had been christened ?.

5-F1-B6-A74-266-B-4-E99-BB03-212-A4-C0-B352-E

5587-E515-6509-4021-A9-FE-114-DF83-D2203

2126-F7-AC-DFF6-4076-879-B-380892-F79-E9-A

Edited by Tigger
  • Like 2

It's always nice to catch straight away with a new reel, have to say though, I've never been one for Line Guards but that's just me.

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

18 hours ago, Martin56 said:

It's always nice to catch straight away with a new reel, have to say though, I've never been one for Line Guards but that's just me.

Like you I don't often use a guard purposely, I just left the guard on the reel. It is removable very easily via only a couple of small screws.  If you look at the design of the guard it doesn't inhibit casting, sort of extended bickerdyke guard.  I was casting a 3 gram wire stemmed float 30yds yesterday and landing on the spot ok so it was fine.  There was little to no wind when I first arrived yesterday, but after about fifteen minuites a down stream wind developed and increased as time elapsed so maybe the guard helped me a little.  

I can't cope with any other guard than a bibkerdyke as the prevent wally casting.

Edited by Tigger
  • Like 2

I had a couple of hours out trotting today.  It was cloudy and cooler at our house and so I was happy to go.  Unfortunately as I got nearer to the river the sky cleared and the horrible blazing hot sun came out.  It was 18 degrees when I set out and 23.5 degrees at the river!

Anyhow I had to walk a mile up and down steep hills and through steep sided woods so thick with undergrowth they reminded me of a tropical jungle.  I was under constant attack from horse flies and one managed to inject me before I squashed it.  

At the river I dropped into some shallow rapids and tried trotting for an hour or so catching a number of dace and small chub but nothing to put a bend in the avon rod.  I moved into another shallow fast flowing pool above me and had some more dace and a decent chub of around 3lb.  I decided to walk several hundred yards below my first spot to another fast run off and had a nice chub which I took a picture of.  With no more joy in that spot after a dozen trotts I moved back to my original spot.  I removed my float and set up a link leger and tried touch legering as the fish obviously didn't want a moving bait, even when held back and slowly eased along.  Anyhow the change of tactics proved to be  the correct thing to do and within a few minuites I had a decent barbel followed by two more barbel.

I was glad I chose to take the 11ft hardy avon rod as it serves both trotting and legering purposes very well.

08-F6-E7-C4-CE38-4010-B6-A5-31-C3-A1408848

9-B40-F159-62-C9-4-B9-E-A1-C2-0-A6-F5-F3-B4-A4-E

8-D13-EF32-DEBE-4563-8-E51-186-D239-ACB95

• Like 2

Here's a clip of a trotting session I had a week or so back.  It was in a swim where once you hooked a fish you can't give any line or the fish will be lost in sunken trees....

Edited by Tigger
  • Like 2