• Please log in to reply
438 replies to this topic

#21 Tigger

Tigger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,346 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 01:10 PM

The river was dropping off yesterday after some recent downpours so I decided to go and christen a new reel i'd recently got hold of (a kingpin Zeppelin).  The reel's larger than what I normally use being 4 3/4 inch across the drum as opposed to 4 or 4 1/2inches.  The reel also has a high line lay which proved to be great for quicker line retrieval on those long trotts down the river.

Anyhow I caught a few chunky dace, a nice trout and several decent chub but only one barbel.  I haven't done as much fishing so far this year but on my outings i've noticed the barbel just don't seem to be as interested in a moving bait as they have in previous years no matter how I present it to them.  The fish are still there and if it was simply a case of catching them a leger would get me connected to lots of them but I just like watching the float toddle off down stream and then dive under :).

Here's a couple of pic's for anyone interested...

august%2015%20chub%202.jpg

august%2015%20chub.jpg

august%2015%20barb.jpg

august%2015%20barbel%201%20a.jpg

#22 AddictedToScopex

AddictedToScopex

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,306 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, gym and software development. No time for anything else. =)

Posted 17 August 2016 - 08:50 AM

Love the look of that pin. Haven't used my pin for a while now. Have just been taking it easy sat behind a ledger for the most part. Nice to be back by the bank though thats for sure. 

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

#23 Tigger

Tigger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,346 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:14 AM

Love the look of that pin. Haven't used my pin for a while now. Have just been taking it easy sat behind a ledger for the most part. Nice to be back by the bank though thats for sure. 

Thanks Rick, I got the 4inch version a while ago and liked it so I finished up getting it's bigger brother and I like it even more. Because it brings back your end tackle so much quicker it makes long trotting more pleasurable.  It's great to wally cast also :).

#24 Tigger

Tigger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,346 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 10:58 PM

The weather was quite hot today but just nice when standing mid river with the water cooling my legs down.  There was a quite strong down stream wind for the first hour or so that made controlling the path of the float a little awkward and kept blowing the line round the reel foot...I knew I should have taken a reel with a line guard!

Although the wind was a bit of a nuisance today was my best days fishing of the season so far, the barbel where in the mood for a trotted bait for a change and I caught 14, probably twice that number of chub and four trout.  It was good to land every fish I hooked :).

aug%2017%20barb1.jpg

aug%2017%20chub.jpg

aug%2017%20barb4.jpg

aug%2017%20barb5.jpg

aug%2017%20barb6.jpg

aug%2017%20barb8.jpg

Edited by Tigger, 17 August 2016 - 10:59 PM.

#25 Tigger

Tigger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,346 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 11:25 AM

I had a session later in the afternoon on Thursday, lower down stream than where I normally fish. The river was low and wasn't flowing very fast but there be fish beneath the surface smile.gif.
I had a nice dace after a couple of trotts through and just as I was about to swing it to hand a fresh water shark chomped it...made me jump to such an extent I nearly fell in the freakin' river eek.gif. After that I had to be careful that esox didn't snaffle anymore. Throughout the session I had a few very nice dace, one decent fat perch and a couple of strange looking hybrids that look like  chub x dace hybrids although i've been informed that they're Ide, what do you reckon....

aug%2018%20hbrid.jpg

I had a few half decent chub also...

aug%2018%20chub.jpg

I used a 12ft drennan acolyte carp waggler and it's pretty much bang on for trotting and weighs very little!

#26 BoldBear

BoldBear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Golf and collecting Fishing Tackle and books.

Posted 20 August 2016 - 04:32 PM

Looks very much like an Ide to me especially after what Mark Wintle said on the other forum about the lateral line count:

mid 40s = roach x chub - 55+ = ide.
Chub x bleak are very rare but likely to be relatively small ie under 6oz.

Mark might expand a little on here like he did on the other forum as he's very knowledgable on the subject.

A great report as usual tigger

Keith

Edited by BoldBear, 20 August 2016 - 04:48 PM.

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

#27 Tigger

Tigger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,346 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 09:30 AM

Thank's Keith :).

I'm glad someone else spotted the fact that they're Ide (it hadn't even crossed my mind) as I thought I was catching loads of mutants lol. I've been catching them all season and sometimes quite a few in a session.

Edited by Tigger, 21 August 2016 - 09:36 AM.

#28 AddictedToScopex

AddictedToScopex

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,306 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, gym and software development. No time for anything else. =)

Posted 22 August 2016 - 10:10 AM

My brother had a belting Ide the other week Ian. We didn't know what it was until I did some investigating some time later. He wishes he had taken a pic now as it was a monster. Easily 4lbs. 

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

#29 Tigger

Tigger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,346 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 11:52 AM

My brother had a belting Ide the other week Ian. We didn't know what it was until I did some investigating some time later. He wishes he had taken a pic now as it was a monster. Easily 4lbs. 

Makes you wonder where they've  suddenly appeared from?

#30 wotnobivvy

wotnobivvy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Genealogy, die cast models, Millwall FC, 00 gauge model railways

Posted 22 August 2016 - 02:04 PM

Perhaps they have been playing ide and seek :clap2: 

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not