Quiver-tipping at night

The Flying Tench

How do you detect the bites when night comes? I realise that barbel anglers have a small plastic tube whipped to the end of the rod, into which they put the night light. But for general fishing, if you've got 3 rods with 3 tips each it would be a bit tiresome to have to do it for all of them.

Say you are quiver tipping on a river, and decide to stay on an extra half hour or hour into dark, what do you do? Do you, for example, simply sellotape a night light to the rod tip? Or do you switch to a bobbin?

john clarke

If i was just stopping on an extra hour or so theres a cpl of options.

Touch ledgering , just hold the rod and rest the line over your finger,

Quiver using a red LED head torch works best with a quiver tip painted white.

The nightlight whipped on as you've said.

Personally on a river i never use more than 2 rods and would have nightlights whipped on ready. But if just stopping on with one rod I would opt for touch ledgering.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

I've attached a chemical type starlight to the tip of a rod with a couple of float rubbers a few times when I've stayed on after dark. seems to work ok, but you do need to put the float rubbers in place before rigging up!

Mat

Mat

How do you detect the bites when night comes? I realise that barbel anglers have a small plastic tube whipped to the end of the rod, into which they put the night light. But for general fishing, if you've got 3 rods with 3 tips each it would be a bit tiresome to have to do it for all of them.

Say you are quiver tipping on a river, and decide to stay on an extra half hour or hour into dark, what do you do? Do you, for example, simply sellotape a night light to the rod tip? Or do you switch to a bobbin?

I'm not quite sure what you mean: is it tiresome to prepare the three tips for when you do need them or just tiresome attaching a betalight to the prepared rod? For me, it would be tiresome trying to fish with three rods, night or day.

Point the rod at the bait, forget the quivertip and touch leger.

BTW, I have a different approach to attaching betalights: I whip (and then Araldite) on to the rod/quiver tip a small shaped section of something akin to a Biro tube so that it sticks up at about 60°, a betalight is then attached to the biro tube by sliding a piece of clear silicone which is already on the betalight over the sticky up bit - takes a couple of seconds, if that.

These days I use the ones kappa posted. Before that most of my tip rods had two float rubbers that lived between the top eye and the next eye down and were there when i wanted them.

Edited by lutra

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I use those too, I've had them for a couple of years now and they're still going strong.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back