All round float rod

RugeleyAngler

I'm surprised that Chris Plumb hasn't replied yet......I'll do so on his behalf - I can hear everybody groaning because they know what's coming.

You need look no further than the Harrison GTi, a bit old now and so not as light as say the Drennan Acolyte but in my opinion a superb all round float rod, budget around £200 for a new one. I use the 15' hollow tip version for trotting but it's equally at home on stillwater, shorter versions are available I think. It's landed 10lb carp and more recently an 8lb barbel in a fastish flow but it's versatile enough to deal with silvers without bumping them off. I've looked at Acolytes and been tempted (they weigh next to nothing) but I always reach the conclusion that for all round float fishing the GTi is very hard to beat. It's robust as well, a lot of my fishing involves roaming around overgrown venues and inevitably there are a few tree prodding mishaps, it's survived so far.

Groaning already

I presume the GTI version of the blank is injected unlike a mere GT version?

Silly names to catch the suckers ,i have a 16ft 'superlight' that weighs about a hundred weight ,mind you it was made in the 50's when men were men.

The allround rod i use merely has PDQ on it no need for much else

If trees are involved i DONT recommend a appollo taperflash ,i cleverly got a twig on a branch cought in the tip eye of mine and a sharp tug not only broke the line but pulled out the tip section into 2.5 ft of freezing october water for two hours until i eventually found it ,it sank like a stone ,a magnet was in my bag for years after

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• 2 weeks later...

I really like my J. W. Young 13' Specimen Float Rod (Remember that one Keith??). I'll get the Serial No tomorrow - just for Boldbear's benefit!!

We had some "Sport" over that.

It behaves just like a match rod, but with a "Progressive Action " & bends to the Butt when required to.

Rarely "Bumps off" small fish, & has serious stopping power should one encounter a real Donkey.

It takes Lines of 5 - 8 lb (but I've found it's equally at home with lighter - 3 lb)

For between £60 - £65 depending where you get it from.

I'd recommend this one for certain.

A true all rounder.

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

please see my post re Boldbear & J.W. Young Specimen 13 foot Rod.

It's a Great Rod!!

& a Great Price 60 - £65.

I really like my J. W. Young 13' Specimen Float Rod (Remember that one Keith??). I'll get the Serial No tomorrow - just for Boldbear's benefit!!

We had some "Sport" over that.

Is that Martin from the now defunct 'fishing-forum.info' forum? If so then: Hi Martin it's nice to see you on here; it was a pity about that forum having to close through the forum owners ill health. The species hunt competition was a great idea as was the 'fish of the month photos'. looking forward to your posts on here Martin.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

It handles exactly like a Match rod for the small stuff with plenty of "Tip Action" - Then "Morphs" into some thing else when one hits a "Donkey" with the "Progressive Action".

It says for Main Lines of 5 - 8 lb, but is also as good with Lighter- say 3 lb.

It's better than Good, & a Great Price - £60 - £65 when I bought mine around 3 years ago.

Never felt in danger of losing a fish - because of the rod that is.

I now have 2 of these - the first from Tackle2u , the the other from fleabay for £70 (which had a spare middle & Top section)

• 4 weeks later...

Original Poster-If you liked the Matchpro Ultralite which is a lovely rod but too light for your needs then why not go for the standard Matchpro float which is the stepped up version of the same rod with a line rating up to 7lb ( See Drennan site for details ).

Edited by Bartman

• 1 month later...

Another vote for the GTI - I've a fifteen footer with hollow and solid tips and with the hollow I've had carp to 18lb and even used it for floater fishing with 6lb line. With the solid tip it's great for lighter lines. It is a rod which will benefit from titanium rings through, any extra on the top section makes a big difference if you're trotting and holding it all day.

><((('> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`

¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯ ><((('>