Howdy from a Newbie

chatfouz

New to the Country.

I now live in Durham and want to get back into the fishing I grew up doing.

I grew up fishing perch, and sunfish in Texas with my uncle.

I want to get back into fishing but I am starting fresh. I only ever used what my uncle handed me.

I figure to go to decathlon and pick up a £20 pole/reel/hook set. I grew up using live bait but all the clubs in the area seem to not allow it so i figured rubber worms or turkey bits would do just fine.

I am interested in fishing again for perch, bream and catfish. I miss cooking up a mess of perch.

Hi and welcome to Anglers' Net.

If you are in the UK you are pretty much out of luck as far as keeping fish for the table. Mostly it isn't allowed other than on some very pricey trout streams. Also, "bream" is a totally different species of fish than the US sunfish and probably not fit to eat even if it were allowed. Same with the Wels catfish and there aren't any channel or blue cats over there.

If your Durham is in the States (North Carolina for instance), you will be in pretty good shape. If its in the UK, I'll be happy to give you a quick overview of how the fresh water UK fishing rules differ from the US. Just post the question in the Coarse section of the forum. I'll leave the specific "how to" for fishing over there to the UK folks since its way too different from what I am used to and I doubt I would ever catch a fish in the UK without expert help.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Best of luck to you and I'd love to hear how you get on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_bream

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President