Who fishes the pole?

Dave H

Get yourself a copy of https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pole-Fishing-Complete-Mark-Wintle/dp/1861269889

You will also need a pole roller. A v type that screws into a bank stick if fine for a short pole or a boss type.

Which ever pole you get ask the shop to set up with a puller bung. This will help get bigger fish under control at the net. I recommend you ask them to elasticated with solid middy hi viz in a size suitable for target species with a stock connector and an internal ptfe bush.

Buy some ready made rigs suitable for elastic and targeted species (make your own once you get used to pole fishing).

Sit on a seat box or high camping type chair, low specimen/carp chairs make pole fishing awkward.

Start off by practicing shipping in and out without a rig on.

Lubricate elastic.

Then try a few ships with a rig on and practice laying the rig or lowering rig into position (depends on rig and shot pattern).

Get used to holding pole and rig in position.

Plumb up accurately.

Practice a few strikes (lifting rig in a smooth controlled motion).

Now start off using maggots at about 5 Metres aiming to bag a few smaller silver fish.

At this distance you can feed by hand underarm flicking a few loose maggots at a time.

Once a fish is hooked ship pole back slowly on to roller, watch elastic to determine fish size and direction it's going, keep elastic tight with pole at a slight angle.

Once pole gets to no3 section break pole down in a smooth motion and lift top three.

Net fish (use puller bung with bigger fish to shorten elastic).

If playing a big fish try to follow it with pole tip and add on sections if needed.

Bear in mind fish tend to swim the opposite way you pull against them. In time you will learn to use this to your advantage.

Once you get the hang of the short pole try putting on extra sections and fishing further out or along bank to features.

Invest in a pole pot to clip onto pole to accurately tip feed onto spot when using pole at longer lengths.

Would also recommend a dedicated potting top kit for ground bait.

Enjoy.

Once you have had a few elastic stretchers you will wonder why you never tried the pole before.

Don't get hooked up on pole floats/rigs. Research rig / float types and keep it simple.

Don't be scared to use a back shot if windy or when there is surface tow they aid presentation and will increase catch rate without a doubt.

And finally, count down time it takes for float to settle.

If count goes over strike as it is likely bait has been taken on the drop.

Once floats settled also strike at lifts, it is likely bait has been picked and disturbed drop shot.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Great additional advice Rudd,

You can also catapult Maggots, with the pole trapped across your knees

If you're right handed - trap the pole with your right fore arm/elbow pulling the catty forward with your left, aiming Maggots at the float.

You can of course use the pole cup as well as, already mentioned by Rudd.

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Most importantly - "Get yourself Comfortable". It's very easy to end up with a "Bad Back" if your Not!! Even if you're quite fit.

Also a Pole Sock is a must for putting the No 3 section in & supporting the rest of the pole when Baiting up the op kit.

Above all, don't get distracted - the pole WILL get pulled in (especially when fishing out in front of you) by even a fish of a pound.

It's happened to most of us - usually with the old "Flask in one hand - Cup in the other trick!!

This happened to me only about 3 weeks ago - I hadn't had a bite for ten minutes when a gust of wind blew my keep net bag in!!

I got off my box to retrieve it with the landing net, when the pole set off the rollers & in it went & went round the lake twice with the fish "Still On".

Fortunately an angler fishing the feeder cast in & got it back for me - with a carp of around 3 lb still on.

My cousin wasn't so lucky - last week he lost his top 3 sections altogether!!

Anyone remember them being called 'roach poles' when they first came out?

I remember when they first came out i was about 10 or so and remember getting to see one at old bury hill with some mates and remember thinking what happens if he gets a Pike on that!!!! :doh:

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

I used to have a roach pole. It was all bamboo with a whalebone tip. Bloody heavy to hold as a 12 year old. The line was long enough to fish to hand as the pole was only about 15 - 18 ft long

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

I had a couple in the 70's shakespear glass things one was bright red ,i learnt my lesson and stooped before my arm stretched to long ,i did elasticate one which made it easier to use but they were telescopic then so no unshipping the top to land the fish ,a bit of grit and you were trying to grab the fish just out of reach LOL

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I am a pole newbie. I bought a new, cheap, Maver 9.5m pole and three universal top kits from Dragon Carp at the end of last year. a friend of mine offered to come along and show me how to use it. Rudd's Advice is brilliant and spot on but there is no substitute for having someone show you what you are doing wrong.

Earlier this year I was lucky enough to be given a second hand 14.5m pole and again I was out with my mate getting a few first hand tips. Once someone has given you some instruction it is then a case of getting hands on and having a go. I am still learning myself and have just about managed to get the shipping about right even if using a catapult while holding the pole is still not as easy as sme seem to think it is.

I have the book someone has recommended you buy. I second that but it may seem a bit muddled at first if like me you do not have any previous experience. Nine months on, the text, that in places might as well have been written in Swahili, now makes much more sense after getting a few sessions hands on.

There is so much I have yet to learn but I have documented my experiences so far on my blog. You can find the relevant posts by going to my blog (address in my signature below) and entering "pole" in the search box.

I hope this helps.

Ralph.

P.S. Don't try lifting the pole by the thin end... DAMHIKT :wacko:

It was T H I S big, honest!

My Blog

Great Blog Ralph, I really enjoyed reading that.

Well done on you first tench also.

Many more to come I'm sure.

Twas only about 5 years ago that I caught my first one, that would be because of my many previous years of flogging the Yorkshire Rivers, where there basically are None!! :shutup:

Well none to speak off!! - I'm sure I'd have remembered, had any turned up in any of our many Matches.

Perhaps some one would come on this - Are there any documented Tench catches on the Yorkshire Rivers??

That would be The Yorkshire Ouse, Swale, Nidd, Wharfe, Derwent, Ribble, Aire etc.

I really Like the "Edit" button - saves posting any misquotes & things perhaps, that could have been put better the first time. (Hopefully In Time)

Edited by Martin56