Outer Space....and....who are you...

Tigger

The universe is (as far as we can work out) a 4-dimensional toroid (think doughnut* with extra timey-wimey stuff). The observable universe (the bit we can see) is a 3-dimensional circle on the surface of the 4-dimensional doughnut. How big the observable universe is in relation to the whole universe is a moot point, it could be a couple of % or it could be as much as 10%, some say more than that.

What happened before the Big Bang? That is something we will probably never know, simply because our physics came into being at the moment of the BB itself. What we do know is that at the moment of the BB, for every 1,000,000,000 atoms of anti-matter, there was 1,000,000,001 atoms of matter. Since matter and anti-matter don't get on very well together, the birth of the universe was (if you could hear it) very noisy as the matter/anti-matter annihilated each other.

Our universe is made up of the extra 1 atom of matter per billion.

* Unfortunately the Universe does not have jam in the centre.

The problem with the "What happened before the Big Bang?" question is that it is a badly formed question. It's like asking what the number four tastes like.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

The problem with the "What happened before the Big Bang?" question is that it is a badly formed question. It's like asking what the number four tastes like.

Chicken :bleh:

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

As for what is outside the universe, that again is a moot point. IF our universe contains all known matter, then nothing is outside it. We know that the universe is expanding faster than the speed of light*, so it is creating the space it's expanding into.

However, if our universe does NOT contain all known matter, then other universes** could be out there. Maybe even close enough to interact with our own.

* For those who are about to say "nothing can move faster than the speed of light", that is true only for matter moving inside space, not for the structure of space itself. Expansion is different to acceleration.

** They may have jam in the centre....

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Tigger,

You want my answer? OK

IMO - just IMO Assuming there even was a big bang it was from infinity. I believe (sort of) that the big bang is continuously occurring, even now.

As space expands and slows down it starts falling back in on itself. This universe, the one we live in today, had a finite amount of energy so at the end of that propulsion it starts "coming back". Some big bangs are bigger or smaller than others depending on what it takes to give it a pop. Where I'm a bit confused is "the origin of matter". The first bit of energy. I think if we ever figure out the source and structure of "dark matter" we will be able to get a handle on the very first big bang which probably was a little bitty bang. Again, IMO, the very first big bang required a creator as far as I can tell right now. Infinity is what science calls it without proof since infinity cannot be tested.

Think of a rubber ball or rubber band going out to the distance allowed by the maximum force then coming back. Then doing it again and again.

Phone

So somewhere in the universe there must be a spot with unusual properties so the falling back stuff knows where to fall back to?

Dos the stuff nearer this magic place fall back quicker or slower than the stuff furthest away and how does it know how far it is away so it knows when its time to fall back?

Surely the concept of a big bang means theres this magic place that empty of everything as what was there was flung outwards and travelled away from it

Ps i thought of this rubber band and it froze solid in the cold of space and snapped

Space is great for lazy theories by the time the truth is out the theorist is dead ,i will predict out there somewhere theres a black and white striped planet with an icecream core ,you heard it here first

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

As space expands and slows down it starts falling back in on itself.

There's just one little problem...

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Ken Ken Ken your just countering one opinion with another LOL wiki isnt gospel its made up by mortals opinions ,mind you 98%of everything is just opinion

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Ken Ken Ken your just countering one opinion with another LOL wiki isnt gospel its made up by mortals opinions ,mind you 98%of everything is just opinion

It's not the pages in Wiki that are important, it's the references that count.

The references on that page carry more weight than a thousand of yours or mine.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Show me one without the words ,may,could,should,presume,presumed,presumably,perhaps,undecided,controversial, unproven,might,reportedly,in my opinion,in xxxses opinion,questionable ,indefinate,unsure,divided opinion,open to question,borderline,indecisive,contradictable and any other phrase sentence or word for not knowing for sure

Ooh missed one "supposebly" in the dicac mine opinion

Edited by chesters1

I sometimes wonder if the top level theoretical physicists are still human. I almost hope not since if they are, I'm afraid I class as sub-human.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President