Outer Space....and....who are you...

Tigger

The way IP addresses are assigned these days, it is certainly possible that two or three posters different posters could be assigned the same IP address at slightly different times. It is also possible that I could win the lottery more than once. Possible but HIGHLY UNLIKELY so that assuming two posters using the same IP is bogus and that they were the same person/computer using two different names is a pretty safe assumption.

I'll be happy to go into detail about IP assignments using IP version 4 if you wish but it will be very boring for most folks.

If we ever manage to switch over completely to IP version 6 which has enough IP addresses to permanently assign one to every person and device now in existence, it will move from "highly unlikely" to "damned near impossible". That would certainly make life a bit easier on us moderators.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

The way IP addresses are assigned these days, it is certainly possible that two or three posters different posters could be assigned the same IP address at slightly different times. It is also possible that I could win the lottery more than once. Possible but HIGHLY UNLIKELY so that assuming two posters using the same IP is bogus and that they were the same person/computer using two different names is a pretty safe assumption.

I'll be happy to go into detail about IP assignments using IP version 4 if you wish but it will be very boring for most folks.

If we ever manage to switch over completely to IP version 6 which has enough IP addresses to permanently assign one to every person and device now in existence, it will move from "highly unlikely" to "damned near impossible". That would certainly make life a bit easier on us moderators.

Knowing what I know about DCHP, highly unlikely with IPV4.The posters would have to have the same provider and live close enough together to be on the same DSLAM (assuming they both use ADSL).

You will see me on a different IP range on some Tuesdays and Thursdays because I visit people on those days and occasionally I log on from their place.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote