Wanted. Silencer for single barrel .410

Norm B

Norm,

Sounds like your are dressed for the dance and don't have anyone to take. In Feb. 2017 you were down to one hedgehog and apparently one fox. What the 'ell?

How are this years Newts?

Phone

Norm,

Sounds like your are dressed for the dance and don't have anyone to take. In Feb. 2017 you were down to one hedgehog and apparently one fox. What the 'ell?

How are this years Newts?

Phone

:clap3: Newts are OK but I've given up breeding to repopulate ponds as the ponds keep getting filled in and the price of daphnia has gone through the roof so I encourage mosquitos to lay their eggs in bowls of stagnant water, seems to be working. Got 2 hogs at moment, lost one last week, probably the fox. :nono:

• 3 weeks later...

Norm,

I believe in my 80 odd years you are the first I've known to encourage the mossies to breed.

Phone

:clap3: I needed their larvae to feed the newt tadpoles as the nearest place I can get daphnia is 10 miles away now and it's over a £1 a bag. We don't have malaria or Zika virus here so apart from itchy bites the parents are harmless. As I am no longer stocking ponds, apart from a separate pond for GCN's the main pond will have to fend for itself. Times are hard for us pensioners. :bye2:

• 3 months later...

clap3.gif Newts are OK but I've given up breeding to repopulate ponds as the ponds keep getting filled in and the price of daphnia has gone through the roof so I encourage mosquitos to lay their eggs in bowls of stagnant water, seems to be working. Got 2 hogs at moment, lost one last week, probably the fox. nono.gif

biggrin.png Now up to 3 or 4 hogs but lost one to next doors rat trap, took it to vets but didn't make it. I can't believe anyone would put rat traps in the open. When I was doing conservation/pest control I either put poison underground or traps in boxes with small entrance holes, not baited in the open. ohmy.png

Norm,

Perhaps the "rat trap" wasn't intended to catch rats.

Phone

mad.gif I did think that but better not as it would create an atmosphere with my neighbours. I just can't believe that anybody would put a baited rat trap in the open, it could catch birds as well and is probably illegal. mad.gif

• 4 months later...
On 10/1/2016 at 11:42 PM, philocalist said:

Don't know your house, obviously, but I'd be very careful about letting off a shotgun in there ... you can face some pretty serious penalties for discharging a bloody airgun in your garden if you are too close to a footpath (or even a public road), never mind a shotgun, regardless of your intentions - and firearms-related charges / convictions and penalties are NEVER a minor issue, with many now carrying a mandatory custoddial sentence, even for stuff that would have seen a blind eye turned, or at worse a 'quiet word' just a few years ago.

Your biggest problem may lie with the possibility of a complaint from a neighbour ... a vague call / complaint to the police WILL result in a very blunt visit from an armed police unit ... I kid you not! The police WILL NOT attend any incident reported as involving a gun of any type without an armed response unit being there - I've even (recently) seen them put up the helicopter locally as a part of their response, after kids were reported close to where we live, in woodland bordering a lake in a public park!

Oh aye - from experience too - add-on shotgun silencers don't do much at all to keep a shot quiet, they do little more than muffle it a bit, way different to shotguns that are manufactured with silencers as an integral part of the barrel.

Checked with police, perfectly legal as long as shot doesn't leave my premises and I've tested the gun and cartridges, Eley sub-sonic magnum and the pellets hitting a target make more noise than the gun.