Is it a Myth?

Jim Roper

I was told this by a chap who had been a CPO in the British Navy. Hilarious, but is it true?

Some years ago, before 9/11 I suspect. A British Navy warship paid a courtecy to Boston Mass. 'The Troubles' were still active and the crew were told to 'keep their heads down' when they were out and about, because of the local Irish Nationalist sympathy. A group of them were drinking in a bar and got talking to a chap who claimed to be the local Noraid organiser. They got him blind drunk and took him to a tattoo parlour. I doubt they saw him again, because next morning he must have woken up to find 'God save the Queen' and the Union Flag on his chest.

I wondered if it was true, but an ex-Army officer told me recently that they had done something similar to a German chap who had been berating them about their military victories again Brits.

• Like 2

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

:clap3: 1969 we were in Singapore for Christmas and as usual we took the Yanks from a destroyer berthed near us under our wing as the Yanks get ripped off where ever they go (willingly?) We were both sailing New Years Day so a last run ashore was called for New Years Eve. We all piled into a tattoo parlour after sinking many pints of Tiger beer. Some of us had tattoos, not me, I don't like needles. One Yank wanted the Confederate flag tattooed on his back and after negotiating a ridiculously low price fell asleep on the table. Much whispering between us Brits and money changed hands with the tattooist. Next morning as we slipped past the US destroyer, one very irate Yank seaman was waving his fist and berating us Brits. Some how his Confederate flag had become the Union Flag and "Rule Britannia" was under it. :clap3:

Edited by Norm B
  • Like 2

I was told this by a chap who had been a CPO in the British Navy. Hilarious, but is it true?

Some years ago, before 9/11 I suspect. A British Navy warship paid a courtecy to Boston Mass. 'The Troubles' were still active and the crew were told to 'keep their heads down' when they were out and about, because of the local Irish Nationalist sympathy. A group of them were drinking in a bar and got talking to a chap who claimed to be the local Noraid organiser. They got him blind drunk and took him to a tattoo parlour. I doubt they saw him again, because next morning he must have woken up to find 'God save the Queen' and the Union Flag on his chest.

I wondered if it was true, but an ex-Army officer told me recently that they had done something similar to a German chap who had been berating them about their military victories again Brits.

:nono: Can add to that. In the 70's we were in a bar Boston on St. Patrick's Day when the local IRA sympathisers came round with their collection buckets, they were politely told to F***OFF by the bar owner as half the ship's company were drinking in there and he didn't want problems. One loud mouth started mouthing off and one of the Royal Marines told him to "pick a window you're leaving", he continued to mouth off when he was smacked in the mouth and thrown through a window, a fight ensued, the police came, everyone was arrested and separated. When the story was told it appeared that the marine who started it had received a telegram that afternoon that his brother, a fellow RM had been killed in NI in an IRA attack. We were all released and the bar owner welcomed us back in while the Irish sympathisers were removed from the area while the ship was in. :nono:

Another tattoo story: Some UK navel chaps were in the Far East, Hong Kong I think. A Scottish chap(drunk) wanted 'Scotland forever' and a thistle on his chest. He drew a picture of a thistle to explain to the colonial tattooist what he wanted, but he ended up with a pineapple instead.

• Like 1

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Another tattoo story: Some UK navel chaps were in the Far East, Hong Kong I think. A Scottish chap(drunk) wanted 'Scotland forever' and a thistle on his chest. He drew a picture of a thistle to explain to the colonial tattooist what he wanted, but he ended up with a pineapple instead.

:clap3: He was lucky, it could easily have been a leek, daffodil, shamrock or English rose. :clap3: