Eel Migration

Chris Plumb

Interesting Chris.

I thought there was a shortage of them until i fished the waters that i have recently moved to and the area is teaming with them and some quite big ones at that...

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

All,Chris,

This morning the topic of eel migration and hurricane Matthew was being discussed on the TV. An entire generation of eels may not breed this year.

Not a good thing!

Phone

All,Chris,

This morning the topic of eel migration and hurricane Matthew was being discussed on the TV. An entire generation of eels may not breed this year.

Not a good thing!

Phone

I think that's where the split breeding seasons, mentioned in Chris's link will come into effect Phone.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Gozzer,

"""""Yet, the migratory timing and speeds of eels vary so that only the fastest arrive in time for peak spawning in the Sargasso Sea in the spring while others arrive much later, only to breed the following season.""""" (From Chris' article)

That's kinda what they were talking about. Must confess I was only paying half attention. The jist was that the brunt of the storm was in the breeding area and the path was going to be in the migration zones taking fish off course for next spring.

I think they only breed in spring(?) Late comers hang around until next spring.

I can be totally off base but the conversation was on a fishing program and the topic was "woe are the eels" (something like that?)

Phone

Probably all just made up so the excuse is found to raise the price of jellied eels.

We get it with veg "wettest" "dryest" late spring early spring etc etc to give the excuse to charge double for a sack of spuds ,trouble is if you look hard enough theres plenty about come harvest LOL

I will bet elver licences will still be sold and thats where the major problem with eel stocks lies.

Anway how do we know they die ,could they just stay at sea come retirement age and die years later?

I cannot see anything romantic its not as if proof has been found of males and females swimming fin in fin have a long awaited bunk up and dying together and sinking entwined to the depths of the briny

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson