Midlands tench venue

Ken L

I'm looking for a nice venue to catch a few tench in he spring. Preferably one without a big head of carp and located west of Birmingham.

I'm not after monsters but a good chance of a bag of 4 or 5 fish using float tactics would be nice.

Any suggestions?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Hi Ken - Tough choice for a specific tench water without the big head of carp. Back in the 80's & 90's There a few venues around the Birmingham area which did hold some tench - these are the ones I did know. But unfortunately I have moved away from the good area for tench fishing, I do not know now on what the fishery is like now! These are some place you could look at or enquire about it in most tackleshop around the Birmingham area.

Swan Pool - West Bromwich (Day Ticket) - did have a few head of tench but not sure what it like there now, I do know there a few carp in the water and the last one I had was around the 20lb but the biggest tench I had was around the 5lb/6lb but as I said I haven't fished it for a few years now.

Lodge Park Pool - Redditch (Membership only) A small pool which I am afraid got large head of carp but in some place - you could catch tench in certain area of the pool - again haven't fish it for a few years but I know a friend who still fish it. I could find out if you want me to?

​Hewell Grange - Tardebigge/Bockhill (Membership only) This set in the grounds of HMP at Hewell Grange - Another place which had large head of Tench at one time but not sure if they are still there or not. But I do know the fishing venue did stock carp in the late 90s so again couldn't tell you what the score is nowdays.

​Croften Hackett - (Longbridge) Membership only - a very hard place to fish but again did hold a large tench up to 4lb back in the late 90's and again not sure on what it like there now - I do now that access was very difficult to get to and also joining the place was very secretly to get in.

Barnt Green Reservoir (Upper Bittell) (Membership only) - Another good place to fish - but it was mainly roach and bream water with a few head of tench but they often caught when the water level went down and if you are prepare to walk round to the either side of the reservoir.

Alvechurch Fishery (Day Ticket) some a few tench going up to 5lb/6lb but it is mostly over run with carp!

​Terrys Pool (Earlswoods Lakes - Membership only in Terrys Pool - again did had a few tench going up to 6lb/7lb but again you had to walk a long way from the car park as they were in certain area of the pool. Must I do know now that there quite a few carp in there now which ruin the pool.

​There are plenty of other venues I could mention but I do stress out that is mainly all designed for carp and match fishing.

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

Thanks for the starting point Andrew. Hope both you and Budgie are well - I've not seem many posts from you lately.

What's happened to Swann pool is a tragedy.

It was the source of both of my confirmed 20lb+ pike but it's no longer worth fishing due to poaching.

Last time I spoke to the bailiffs, they were fishing out at least 6 set lines a day, the pike, carp and tench had been devastated and nobody was even bothering to fish it with rod and line.

The biggest carp that I have ever seen first hand was in one of the little pools up in the woods and apparently, it was seen slung over someones shoulder and being carried out.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Thanks for that Neil.

I've been a BAA member for years and am mainly a river anger so KF have never really seemed like good value but a look on their website shows some nice looking pools, some of which are available on day tickets.

Any one in particular that you would recommend?

Thanks for that Neil.

I've been a BAA member for years and am mainly a river anger so KF have never really seemed like good value but a look on their website shows some nice looking pools, some of which are available on day tickets.

Any one in particular that you would recommend?

Dudmaston Hall Ken, the Big Pool is an excellent water for Tench.

I too am a long standing BAA member, and I certainly miss the Tench fishing, I guess I was spoilt with living in the Cotswold Water Park a few years back, and that was rammed with Tench, South Cerney AC do offer DT's if you fancy a bit of a drive.

BAA have a few pools as you know, and the lesser fished Apperley Pools are hard, but very nice and secluded, there are two pools, the smaller one does have a reasonable head of Tench,but the River Severn runs along side, so if you fail on the Tench there's always the huge Bream shoals. Nice Pub nearby to wet your whistle, the Coal House.

Edited by Neil Smart

More options for the list.

Uckinghall holds some nice tench but it's not exactly an easy water.

Apperley is a fair chug away but it might make for an interesting overnighter, even if we can't fish through the night.

Thanks again.