Drop shotting for perch

SPSwallow

Hi. I fancy doing a bit of drop shotting for perch around the broads but I could do with a bit of advice on rigs. What rigs do others like to use? I have heard talk of some using 30lb braid in case of a snag, they can then pull the hook until it straightens out and returns. I like the sound of this but the few rigs I have seen have been flurocarbon tied to braid. Surely the flurocarbon would snap making the 30lb braid unaffective? Anyway, any pointers would be much appreciated

Thanks

Pikers use the heavy braid so that they get thier expensive lures back....

For droppshotting and perching you need the lightest braid you can use that remains usable (i.e. too thin and its unreliable and get wind knots etc etc).

An 8 or 10lb braid is ideal, there are loads on the market but I would avoid Fox braids.

Persoanlly I hate dropshotting and prefer small jig heads with soft lures. But both use a length os fluro tied to the braid using an albright knot. Same rules for the fluro as light as possible thats still robust. I use basic 6lb fluro from Drennan.

FYI with the light small hook size jig heads I can bend the hooks out on many snags with 8lb braid and 6lb fluro.

I followed the advice on this video on drop shotting when I first started.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DBu0xybnATw

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

All,

We use Aberdeen hooks for perch most of the time when still fishing with bait. They straighten easily and can be reformed without loss of much of the strength. Over here, their natural diet consists of small fish, fish eggs, insects, crayfish, snails, leeches and worms. Imitations any of these work well at times. The go to bait is a minnow (US definition of minnow) Perch are also very attracted by color and flash (this is the reason few use fluorocarbon main line. This Company is notoriously famous for these perch artificials http://www.lindyfishingtackle.com/lures/species/perch

Phone

BTW My favorite catfish bait is dried salted chicken liver. A small snippet of dry chicken liver on an artificial can be deadly.

Would you like the "recipe" for making perch chicken liver?