Which tip?

Peter Waller

All,

Toward the end of my active carp fishing my "best" presentation was a corn puff, an buoyant neutral plastic bead, a shot, all to the mainline. Corn puffs are very buoyant. The idea, in theory, was to work the bottom of your swim about an inch or so popped up. Would that also be called "stret-pegging"? Goes without saying size and number of shot was determined by circumstance.

Phone

PS. This is VERY popular with paylake anglers. A "puff" surrounded by a "packbait"

Float legering, and stret-pegging are two different animals Martin. Stret-pegging is designed to work a bait through a swim, using the float, the float leger is a completely static method.

John.

Yes John, but one can let some line off & let the float Ledger trundle down a bit say, every few minutes to explore different spots further down the swim.

Providing of course the Ledger isn't so heavy that it holds bottom on it's own!!

I've sometimes rolled small Bomb or a drilled bullet across a swim, casting slightly upstream & to the far bank & holding the rod as though trotting!! (usually with worm, so it stays on)

If the line goes at all slack or stops momentarily - its more often than not a Bite.

Edited by Martin56
  • Like 1

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

• 1 month later...

Am I right that the typical feeder rods you buy all have carbon tips? The only glass tips I have as far as I know are screw-in affairs, but modern rods don't have a screw-in facility in the tip ring, so they are not much use. I guess I must be wrong - there must be feeder rods on the market with glass tips? I have a John Wilson Avon Quiver, but I've sanded down the lightest tip so it's much more sensitive.Wow, I'm a hopeless ledger fisherman! A lot of stuff in this thread rings bells. But Stuart, with your upstream roach approach, if you don't use a feeder does that mean you don't bother with baiting up?Peter, you say that bream bashing on the Broads is too easy. I can see you'd get fed up with it, but I've never done it and might like a go. Now I'm semi-retired I aim to go on occasional fishing breaks staying in a b&b for a couple of nights. How big, typically, are the Broads bream, and which is a good river?

Hi there fella, yes mate yer right because I'm using ultra light basic ledger rigs IE using pinched shot directly on the mainline I quite often don't bother to use any any feed, most of the time I'd be roving and searching all different little swims along the river bank using single hook baits,

However there are times when I may walk the river bank and introduce just one wallnut size piece of mashed bread into several different swims and then fish the swims in rotation,

Pretty much the same as one would fish and rove the river for chub

Edited by STUART WHITING

Right, basically this is what I do, most others will nearly all favour for a free running link ledger,

now to to me this is actually inferior and doesn't actually work in how one thinks it works,

My therory is that if you use a lead that is say any lighter than 1 1/2 oz as soon as any fish picks up the bait I can assure anyone that this lead will most definitely move, it won't just sit there on the river bed and allow line to pass through a run ring or swivel eye of the lead and register a bite on the rod tip without moving that lead,

I've deliberately tried and tested this tactic in marginal clears swims on many rivers where every fish watched taking the bait all moved the lead, the only time the lead will stay positioned on the river bed and not necessarily move is if one uses any leads above 1 1/2 oz.

If this has made sence so far one needs to then realise that if using lead of say 1/4 - 1/2 oz which is what I often use or considerably less it doesn't matter if you set the rig up as free running or actually fixed because the rig in effect will act exactly the same regardless, it's basically a micro bolt rig affect if ones wants to get technical, but what I do is use the lightest amount of split shot that I can get away with,

With this in mind all I do is just simply pinch about 3-4 AAA shot directly onto me mainline about 18" away from the hook, couldn't get any simpler as a very light rig,

I've personally never ever had any issues or problems with this basic rig and it's a rig that realy does work for me when a lot of other known tactics can often fail.

Ever tried inline olivettes instead?

No weakend line, less chance of a tangle and I would of though the denser tungsten will have a smaller surface area than bulked AAA hence a smaller and neater rig?

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Carbon tips have a major drawback.

Generally being thinner than glass tips smaller eyes are used.

Smaller eyes may make the rod look nice and neat and for many anglers are not much of a problem.

For anglers used a braid mainline they are. Anglers using a braided line also use a mono leader, for the leader to work correctly it's the length of rod plus a few turns of reel handle.

The leader aids casting out a loaded feeder, saves fingers, gives you something to put rig on and a shock absorber when landing a fish.

A mono leader needs a knot. No matter how small a knot you tie at some point you will get a bit of weed on the knot and it won't go through the tip eye.

Worst case scenario is that you don't notice and break the tip.

Carbon tips are easy to break, I have done it countless times.

I use a MAP parabolic special edition for general tip fishing and it has a lifetime guarantee.

After taking or sending back many broken tips Map/Leeds/Madison/h young recommend cutting the new tip back to the second tip eye which was bigger,turns out that's what all their sponsored anglers had done to solve broken tip problems and as most had found the last inch of tip to be too sensitive and more of a hindrance than any use.

RUDD

All,

I believe what you are talking about was my first introduction to fluorocarbon line. It is perfect for pinning bait close to bottom and getting more depth from weightless presentations. Like Tigger, I was reluctant to use any sort of leader. The "combination" line weight to bait equation dictated what size fluoro I had spooled. After a bit of back and forth I settled on a confidence level without having to use ANY shot. You can use much heavier fluoro than you would use mono or braid for this application. Fluorocarbon doesn't reflect/refract light and has a lower visibility. Having said all this - it is the ONLY time I used flouro.

Also, a question? "Which tip"? How often are you changing the tip eye? It's my understanding that braid STILL impairs the tip eye and microscopic grooving is a major player in line abrasion. Seems to me the smaller the eye the more critical this issue would be? Especially when bagging any volume of your more feisty tiddlers.

Phone

Phone

All,

I believe what you are talking about was my first introduction to fluorocarbon line. It is perfect for pinning bait close to bottom and getting more depth from weightless presentations. Like Tigger, I was reluctant to use any sort of leader. The "combination" line weight to bait equation dictated what size fluoro I had spooled. After a bit of back and forth I settled on a confidence level without having to use ANY shot. You can use much heavier fluoro than you would use mono or braid for this application. Fluorocarbon doesn't reflect/refract light and has a lower visibility. Having said all this - it is the ONLY time I used flouro.

Also, a question? "Which tip"? How often are you changing the tip eye? It's my understanding that braid STILL impairs the tip eye and microscopic grooving is a major player in line abrasion. Seems to me the smaller the eye the more critical this issue would be? Especially when bagging any volume of your more feisty tiddlers.

Phone

Phone

I only used braid for a few seasons, didn't like the sound it made when reeling in and it was banned by the local angling club as a mainline.

I did use a leader as I was casting hefty sized feeders a good distance and the braid was very thin.

I like my fingers to work

Never found any damaged eyes on the rod (think they are Fuji) but that noise really was an awful screech.

RUDD