Chrismac

Hi Chris. I'm also a Newbie, both to the site and to fishing. I used to fish as a boy growing up in Dorset. I was spoilt for choice with the rivers available and of course the sea fishing from the beaches, the Harbour at Poole and getting out in boats as often as possible.

I've returned to fishing at the grand old age of 48 (trying to re-capture some of those nostalgic memories of a carefree youth!!) and am having to re-learn everything.

If you want to get together for a session on the rivers let me know - I can't pretend I can teach you much if anything but I do know how to catch endless Bleak, Gudgeon and baby Roach. I am also extremely proficient at catching bushes and trees, both from the opposite bank and from just behind and to the right of where I'm fishing.

I currently am hatching a plan to try and extricate a chub or two of a decent size from the Eden River. It involves (among other things) rancid cheese, liquidised chicken feed and bananas.

Watch this space....

• Like 1

Ramblings and musings about trying to catch fish, the perfect sausage and my current playlist can be found at www.fishingforluckies.com

Hi Neil and thanks for the reply.

Can i use the rod and reel i have to fish for other species or is it just for carp? its a 2 piece, 2.5lb, nothing else on it apart from carp, was a gift

Hi Chris.

The rod and reel you have you could use for river carp, and even Barbel if you can. But that might be a step too far at the moment, I would suggest you invest in a float (match rod) say 13 foot, and a 3000 series reel or similar, floats net handle and so on, we all have gear we don't use I am sure we could cobble some stuff to-gether to get you started. You are a bit too far for me to drop items off, I am Gloucestershire, but can post. Maybe someone nearer could help?

The River Rother would be an ideal place to start, plenty of smaller fish and the odd Chub and Trout thrown in, loads of fun!!

• Like 1

Hi Chris. I'm also a Newbie, both to the site and to fishing. I used to fish as a boy growing up in Dorset. I was spoilt for choice with the rivers available and of course the sea fishing from the beaches, the Harbour at Poole and getting out in boats as often as possible.

I've returned to fishing at the grand old age of 48 (trying to re-capture some of those nostalgic memories of a carefree youth!!) and am having to re-learn everything.

If you want to get together for a session on the rivers let me know - I can't pretend I can teach you much if anything but I do know how to catch endless Bleak, Gudgeon and baby Roach. I am also extremely proficient at catching bushes and trees, both from the opposite bank and from just behind and to the right of where I'm fishing.

I currently am hatching a plan to try and extricate a chub or two of a decent size from the Eden River. It involves (among other things) rancid cheese, liquidised chicken feed and bananas.

Watch this space....

Sounds fabulous ha ha, i myself am also an expert in catching trees and bushes. a fishing buddy sounds cool, whereabouts are you? i'm Crowborough east sussex

Hi Chris.

The rod and reel you have you could use for river carp, and even Barbel if you can. But that might be a step too far at the moment, I would suggest you invest in a float (match rod) say 13 foot, and a 3000 series reel or similar, floats net handle and so on, we all have gear we don't use I am sure we could cobble some stuff to-gether to get you started. You are a bit too far for me to drop items off, I am Gloucestershire, but can post. Maybe someone nearer could help?

The River Rother would be an ideal place to start, plenty of smaller fish and the odd Chub and Trout thrown in, loads of fun!!

Thanks Neil, got a few long days and nights coming up so will try and get some gear together after

Chris, I'm in Tunbridge Wells, so not too far. I'd be more than happy to share my tree catching techniques with you. I also cook a mean bankside sausage. For some reason I can't use the PM feature - maybe because I'm new to the forum - my posts have to be checked by a moderator before going live, so you may not see this for a while. If you're up for it we'll get in touch and get something in the diary.

Pete

• Like 1

Ramblings and musings about trying to catch fish, the perfect sausage and my current playlist can be found at www.fishingforluckies.com

• Like 1

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Chris, I'm in Tunbridge Wells, so not too far. I'd be more than happy to share my tree catching techniques with you. I also cook a mean bankside sausage. For some reason I can't use the PM feature - maybe because I'm new to the forum - my posts have to be checked by a moderator before going live, so you may not see this for a while. If you're up for it we'll get in touch and get something in the diary.

Pete

Hi Pete, thanks for the reply, sounds like a plan. not sure i can pm either as a newbie

Hi Pete, thanks for the reply, sounds like a plan. not sure i can pm either as a newbie

I think that probably there has to have been a certain number of posts before the freedom to pm is given. I've just realised that I'm not having my posts checked prior to posting by the moderator - maybe I've arrived at 'trusted' status - we'll see.

I think that probably there has to have been a certain number of posts before the freedom to pm is given. I've just realised that I'm not having my posts checked prior to posting by the moderator - maybe I've arrived at 'trusted' status - we'll see.

Unless things have changed, it was always 15 post. Just a quick flick around saying hello everywhere and your there.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep