perch livebaiting

John Weddup

Hi all

I have been concentrating on perch fishing the last few weeks and intend to continue possibly throughout the winter.

I have caught many perch to 3lbs 14 and had 6 3blers in one day but on a water that worms works well with little problems from unwanted fish. The water I am concentrating on at present seems to be a livebait water as there are many small perch and the lob catch rate is littered with small fish.

I have now caught several decent perch on the lives but am also losing a number where I am not getting a hook hold. I have been using a top lip hook position but on inspection on a fish I landed the hook was not in the perch at all. As the bait had gone down head first as usual it could be seen the line pulling backwards along the bait fish had turned the point of the hook in parrallel with the bait. I like lip hooked because the bait lasts well but am now realising I will have to change somethng.

I would be very interested in opinions on what other perch anglers use and think of my problem.

Many thanks

John

Hi John,

Lots of missed fish could be the small ones too. Small perch will try and take surprisingly large baits.

The problem with lip hooking livebaits is that as the perch swallow the bait head first deep hooking can be a problem.

Hooking in the tail can help and results in more lip hooked perch but expect to miss more bites from the little ones.

Rich

p.s. have you tried large kingprawns? The really big ones can be really quite selective for larger perch.

Rich

They often tail nip to disable prey seen it many times whilst boat fishing clear water rivers so tail hooking can hook them before a proper bite shows

Didn't realise that was you yesterday Rich or would ave come and had a chat

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

I can vouch for king prawns they are a fantastic bait for perch and good for bream too. However, on rivers, i have yet to decide as I seem to get pestered with eels

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

Yes sorry Steve,

Me too, I didn't notice it was you either until I was already out in the weir pool, I can spot Rusty's hat from 100 yards ;) I planned to come and say hi at dusk but you had already scarpered!

Rich

Kappa,

I have NO experience with UK perch. Here, setting the hook to quickly is the number one inadeqacy most anglers commit. Our perch are aggressive enough they often bump the target very hard with a stunning blow from the side, then take it head first. Doesn't happen with "softer" or "soft" baits like nightcrawlers.

Phone

Maybe Lip hooking with a small Treble??

These Mustad ones go down to as small as Size 18.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=treble+hook+size+16&rlz=1C1CHWA_enGB610GB610&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=638&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwidnIf1nanQAhWGJsAKHTzqAesQsAQIMQ

If you want to fish them Barbless - Lip hook with the Barbed point for better bait holding & nip off or flatten down the barbs of the other 2 points.

Could even tie two Trebles in Tandem & have one in the dorsal area, or even 3 (with one in the tail)

A hook up this way is almost certain, whatever the Perch's "Angle Of Attack".

Here'a a short Vid' for a very easy way of tying a 2 or even 3 hook rig.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjs04y0pqnQAhVCPxoKHUnuD7gQtwIIITAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DiYrzLnWA-HM&usg=AFQjCNFE_Qkzvflw-TkQpkFsJ_RX8zwG1A&sig2=TRs1bZ5TZpoNzqO9sIdGWw

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

That's a terrible idea. Didn't John and I mention lip hooking can lead to deep hooking? Deep hooking a fish with treble hooks is even worse.

I know by definition fishing is not fish friendly but the very least you can do is try your best to avoid such an obvious cause of harm if you intend to retuning the fish alive.

I mainly lure fish these days but over the years I've played around with a range of methods to avoid deep hooking from hair rigs to circle hooks. They all work but it depends on the rig.

I don't necessarily agree with you there mate, the idea is that a fish will often try a disabling strike (as is previously mentioned), thus deep hooking seems less likely IMO.

The demo' Vid' of course showing the "Meat Hooks" for catfish is merely to show the tying method.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!