perch livebaiting

John Weddup

Most of the big Perch I had years ago came as accidental captures when live baiting for Pike and after dramas unhooking due to trebles I swapped to singles ,had the same dramas with big Chub taking the lives and again singles helped no end

I did use to hair rig them either small looped hair baiting needle and pinch a small shot on or short hair size 16 on the back of a big single

I know Steve Burke doesn't hair rig as he found problems with it but I found it to help both I activity of live not direct to big hook dragging it around and have had no issues with unhooking

I lose lots of Pike using singles but I can live with that

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

I my younger days, yes I did but only with Minnow live baits.

Deep hooking occurs even more regularly with Lob worm IMO,where the hook is even more difficult to locate & disgorge because the worm is usually still in its mouth obscuring the hook.

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

My experience is limited but I do like the wide gape hooks sold for wacky rigging Senkos. Hook exposure on small livebaits is excellent and the relatively fine wire means that baits stay active when hooked behind the dorsal. I think the ones that I'm using at he moment are made by Owner but the Gamakatsu 230414 is very similar.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Kappa,

I have NO experience with UK perch. Here, setting the hook to quickly is the number one inadeqacy most anglers commit. Our perch are aggressive enough they often bump the target very hard with a stunning blow from the side, then take it head first. Doesn't happen with "softer" or "soft" baits like nightcrawlers.

I've watched tiny perch beating the snot out of a roach almost their own length. Didn't see whether any of them managed to eat it. A big perch has such a big mouth, though, that I'd have thought most things go straight down.

I have found Live baiting to be the most effective way of targeting big perch, (we have been pushing the 5lb barrier but not quite there yet). Best rig, a 5 inch perch live bait, lip hooked with a 6 or 8 treble wire trace, because pike always turn up too, under a small bung set about 4 ft deep (in our 'hot spot'), free roving, bites are almost always good clear ones where the float slides strongly away and under. there are very few mis strikes (as happens quite a lot with lob worm baits). I can't remember ever having a deep hooking problem with trebles problem either.Perhaps using smaller ones, both trebles and singles are the problem as they can go further down the fish's throat? We have never perch fished with smaller hooks than size 6 and for big lobs they can be 4s or even 2s.

Points to note, although relatively large fish bait do go a long way towards targeting better fish, I still prefer to lure fish and accept what comes along, and my PB came to a rapala x rap.

Our perch season is over, (I say this just about every year I know), fishin' for 'stripeys' is very definitely a summer business here. Once the first frosts come the perch seem to evaporate until spring.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

I have found Live baiting to be the most effective way of targeting big perch, (we have been pushing the 5lb barrier but not quite there yet). Best rig, a 5 inch perch live bait, lip hooked with a 6 or 8 treble wire trace, because pike always turn up too, under a small bung set about 4 ft deep (in our 'hot spot'), free roving, bites are almost always good clear ones where the float slides strongly away and under. there are very few mis strikes (as happens quite a lot with lob worm baits). I can't remember ever having a deep hooking problem with trebles problem either.Perhaps using smaller ones, both trebles and singles are the problem as they can go further down the fish's throat? We have never perch fished with smaller hooks than size 6 and for big lobs they can be 4s or even 2s.

Points to note, although relatively large fish bait do go a long way towards targeting better fish, I still prefer to lure fish and accept what comes along, and my PB came to a rapala x rap.

Our perch season is over, (I say this just about every year I know), fishin' for 'stripeys' is very definitely a summer business here. Once the first frosts come the perch seem to evaporate until spring.

Its a shame you can't catch them in the winter Emma, that must be when they weigh their best. Do they never get caught in winter, not even an odd one?

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

All,

Is this bait legal in the UK?

Panfishbait7b.png?itok=1S0dBqsF

Replace the jig head with 2in leader and live bait (not sure if minnow means minnow but smallish minnow.

Phone

We don't really have Legal & Illegal baits in the UK mate, it really all depends upon the Individual owner or club water one is fishing.

Many river stretches & Lakes/Ponds (UK) are run by Angling clubs or are privately owned.

You have to fish within their rules, which vary quite a lot.

Edited by Martin56

All,

Thanks Martin, I guess a better question would be do you use this lure whenever and wherever it is possible. RED HOT in the US and I'm surprised to say for at least a couple years.

Big perch love a school of small fish.

The jig can be substituted for about anything, including spreading the arms a bit and fishing minnows on a short leader. Imagination is the only limit

Phone

Hi Phone, it's very like (or same as) what we would call a "Spinner Bait".

These are very popular in the UK (with the Lure guys, of which I'm really not one)

I do however like to keep abreast with all things "Angling".

"Jack of ALL Trades - Master of NONE" !! you could say.

I've done a bit of spinning with occasional results in my dark & distant past though.

I'll throw out a plug/spinner when on Holiday abroad these days to see if there's anything about.

I'm really a more laid back, lazy angler - preferring to fish a static bait (preferably) in the margins,

I've picked up a lot of big fish, right under my feet!!