Long float rod

76jerry

Firstly I am mostly a sea angler but do 95% of my fishing with a float rod and centre pin mostly for Mullet Gars and Mackerel currently happy with my 14ft float rod but looking to buy a long float rod and narrowed the choice down to a Preston Absolute 17ft or Spectron 17/20ft. As far as I am aware Preston are not doing a17ft rod in the new range so this maybe the last of the Preston long rods what I really would like to know in your opinion which is best for handling lumps, Mullet are like a Barbel on steriods but most of the fish I catch are under 5lb.

Here's a 20 footer for £125 on fleabay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Daiwa-Black-Shadow-Kevlar-20ft-Float-Rod-VGC-/332028888902?hash=item4d4e76c746:g:g5MAAOSwHMJYIeoc

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Many years many many actually i upgraded my fiberglass 16ft rod for a 17ft silstar tradition rod ,big mistake its light but cannot use any line over 3lb because its grossly over ringed and in direct comparison casts half the distance of my glass one ,i am sure the extra foot line pickup doesnt make a difference if you cannot cast as far ,light it is but thats it

I cast underhand which means theres more need for free flowing rings as less power is used to cast ,more rings means more friction and small rings which abound on the last section means a thinner line needs to be used to go through them easier

I think its carbon rods ,my fishing is ruined continually hearing swishing from rods trying to cast light tackle ,i can outcast all of them underhand without any noise but the shot plinking in the water

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Weighted butt will this set up for the individual will it depend on what type of reel and were you position it. Can any one tell me why our American cousins have there centre pin reels much closer to the bottom of the rod, rods look about the same length.

Like glass fibre action but not the weight.

!7ft is my limit

Weighted butt will this set up for the individual will it depend on what type of reel and were you position it. Can any one tell me why our American cousins have there centre pin reels much closer to the bottom of the rod, rods look about the same length.

!7ft is my limit

If you think glass is heavy tou should try older glass if you think thats heavy you should try my 16ft sowerbutts ru-lite ,later glass wasnt heavy what are you a 6 stone weakling LOL

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 17/20ft float rod (a Shakespeare Annex I think) which I bought about 14 or 15 years ago for a series of team matches we had on a stillwater that had depths of around 15ft or 16ft right up close to the banks and I bought the rod simply because I don't think a sliding float is very versatile or sensitive and I much prefer to use a normal waggler and be able to count my shot down indicating bites on the way down

Our team won the series and I took the individual prize using this rod but I have only used the rod a couple of times since then for trotting tight up against the far bank on my local stream.

I think that the rod only takes lines of up to around 4 or 5lb though.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Sadly Shakespear don,t do a 17ft rod anymore and when I spoke to tricast I was told there rods were not what I was looking for that only left Diawa or Preston . This rod will not get much use but hoping it will do the job I have in mind for it. Used to fish a venue that was really deep 30ft plus and knew a few anglers that mastered fishing sliders in very deep water they had homemade floats of mostly stiff rig tube that were over 2ft long but were super senstive because of a thin insert never mastered this style of fishing and I reached for my feeder rod would love to go back and have another go .

!7ft is my limit

Personally - I Like it "Right Up The Butt" - (the reel position I mean Lol)

Nearly all rods these days have a Fixed reel position - Back in the day, nearly all fresh water rods had plain Butt rings so one could decide the reel's position to suit one's personal preference.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!