Why is hemp so good?

Dave H

This bait has always fascinated me as many other baits such as fish baits and corn and meat I understand but what is it in hemp that many fish go wild for. It's great all year round to where corn or other baits go off.

It was banned for many years by commercial fisheries for what they thought made the fish high causing stress and killing them?

It seems more accepted now and many flavours are introduced that many anglers swear to catch more fish

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

I've often thought that it looks very much like the tiny snails that you see in the spring and summer but it is effective at any depth so that may not be quite as true as I thought.

The great barbel angler Ray Walton thought that barbel swallowed it like small pieces of gravel to help break down food in its stomach and he probably caught more barbel than anyone else before he died; certainly over 5000 according to some; and he often used it uncooked and swore by it.

I think that it may be a bit of both and coupled with its smell it's just a great feeding trigger which often gets fish competing.

I have had the occasional day on the Great Ouse around St Ives where the Roach, Dace and Bleak we're feeding almost exclusively on Hemp; and baits like maggots and caster were being virtually ignored.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Is there a certain grade or size of hemp or is it a standard size?

Yes there is

"hmmm dont feel anything"

And

" chiilll maaaan i feeel goooood"

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Commercial fisheries, angling clubs and even national angling bodies are awash with control freaks who love "banning" things.

Some things are banned for good reasons, but many are not. Its just the way of the world, and not confined to angling.

Any old "reason" will do, true or not

I know of an angling club that banned eels from matches . Reason ?

"Because they are reptiles" (the real reason was that the proposer was afraid to handle eels)

Hemp, like bloodworm and gozzers requires a certain amount of time and trouble to prepare properly, so the lazy see no reason why the energetic should have an advantage - its easier to ban such baits.

"reasons" for irrational bans in the modern world include "' 'elf an' safety, innit ? " and "' skurrity, innit ?"

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I'd be interested to hear what flavours people recommend, particularly for roach. Incidently, if they prefer flavoured hemp, that implies the flavour is even nicer than the smell of hemp - so the flavour of hemp can't be the key factor on it's own.

With roach I've found they love it dropping through the water, but are not so keen on it (actually I've used tares as the hook bait) lying on the bottom. I don't know why that is?

john clarke

I'd be interested to hear what flavours people recommend, particularly for roach. Incidently, if they prefer flavoured hemp, that implies the flavour is even nicer than the smell of hemp - so the flavour of hemp can't be the key factor on it's own.

With roach I've found they love it dropping through the water, but are not so keen on it (actually I've used tares as the hook bait) lying on the bottom. I don't know why that is?

done quite well on hemp flavored hemp mixed in with groundbait, probably cant get it these days.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

All,

Essentially I believe Vagabond hit the nail on the head. Hemp is the forbidden fruit.

To be honest a far better bait is #3 trout pellets. It's the same size as hemp.

I haven't done this for about 100 years. You want some carp bait recipes?

OK - glad you ask.

Remember - mixers in to these recipes are/could be: HEMP, oats, nuts, bird seeds, bagels, cheese, cottage cheese, corn, and corn meal and a host of other cereal grains. Experiment and see what works best.

First: 36 ounces of INSTANT grits

1 cup of QUICK grits

1 can cream style corn

(substitute the word Oats for grits and you have my favorite)

Now - - - - - -

1 banana smashed
1/2 bottle of wheat germ
1/2 box Wheaties
add Mogan David concord wine till it makes a dough
take extra wine and cereals to thicken or thin it as needed

(bolied) hempseed, bolied dry dog chunks .stale whole wheat brown bread and
Egg shells …(bolied eggs and raw

1/2 cup of grits

1 cup of peanut butter

1/4 cup of flour

2 slices of white bread

1 cup of Wheaties – or really any other cereal will work just as well

1 cup of flour

stir in a little honey and a 1/4 cup sugar

mix in a little hot water until you get the desired consistency

1 cup of corn puffs

1 cup of flour

1/4 cup brown sugar

1 package of koolaid – any color works but I like red the best

I put in the koolaid one cause iffin you want to use black soldier fly maggots koolaid is a good way to dye them without killin them. For fake maggots use rice, the big kind. (?)

String rice on the hook just like hemp (both cooked) Use a skinny #2 or 1/0 wire hook.

Now aren't you all glad I'm sitting here watching NFL Football?

Phone