Why is hemp so good?

Dave H

All,

Essentially I believe Vagabond hit the nail on the head. Hemp is the forbidden fruit.

To be honest a far better bait is #3 trout pellets. It's the same size as hemp.

I haven't done this for about 100 years. You want some carp bait recipes?

OK - glad you ask.

Remember - mixers in to these recipes are/could be: HEMP, oats, nuts, bird seeds, bagels, cheese, cottage cheese, corn, and corn meal and a host of other cereal grains. Experiment and see what works best.

First: 36 ounces of INSTANT grits

1 cup of QUICK grits

1 can cream style corn

(substitute the word Oats for grits and you have my favorite)

Now - - - - - -

1 banana smashed

1/2 bottle of wheat germ

1/2 box Wheaties

add Mogan David concord wine till it makes a dough

take extra wine and cereals to thicken or thin it as needed

(bolied) hempseed, bolied dry dog chunks .stale whole wheat brown bread and

Egg shells …(bolied eggs and raw

1/2 cup of grits

1 cup of peanut butter

1/4 cup of flour

2 slices of white bread

1 cup of Wheaties – or really any other cereal will work just as well

1 cup of flour

stir in a little honey and a 1/4 cup sugar

mix in a little hot water until you get the desired consistency

1 cup of corn puffs

1 cup of flour

1/4 cup brown sugar

1 package of koolaid – any color works but I like red the best

I put in the koolaid one cause iffin you want to use black soldier fly maggots koolaid is a good way to dye them without killin them. For fake maggots use rice, the big kind. (?)

String rice on the hook just like hemp (both cooked) Use a skinny #2 or 1/0 wire hook.

Now aren't you all glad I'm sitting here watching NFL Football?

Phone

Not 20/20 ;)

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Yep - Sod the fish, sounds more like Breakfast (well at least to my "Juice Plus" orientated step family!!)

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwir8eXborvQAhWCJ8AKHZNsD2MQFggiMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.juiceplus.com%2Fgb%2Fen%2Fjuice-plus-complete%2Flifestyle&usg=AFQjCNEXRBWSPeuQfkIwj9n7JLDowbEvbA&sig2=5QAZ0FXA6k2vhWmdmw7TaA&bvm=bv.139250283,bs.1,d.d2s

I'm not saying there aren't any benefits, but this stuff can, & Has cost many hundreds of £'s. (for my step family to us I hasten to add)

Capsules (veg, berry, fruit), smoothies, Peanut Butter, Almond Milk & all the rest.

I firmly believe in my 5 a day - does 5 Jaffa Cakes count???

Just can't help feeling they've been had.

By the way - wife thinks I'm an incurable cynic!!!!!!

Seems this market is aimed at the younger end who don't believe that fresh cooked veg' & fresh fruit is in fact the real deal.!! (the basis of the rip off but in packet form!!) And Many Times The Price.

It's all because it comes in "Believable Packaging" with Nothing Else to Do!!

I am really saddened by the fact that my step son & his partner can't see it.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Phone, it's about time you came up with some recipes for making carp more palatable, rather than recipes for feeding them.

As for hemp, I've heard many thoughts on why the fish seem to like it, but none of them seemed any more valid than the rest. I just know that some fish really go for it, and that's enough for me.

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Gozzer,

I haven't eaten any carp for years and years. I would be the first to confess they nearly always taste like the water they come from. It DOESN'T taste like chicken. We used to put them in a stock tank with fresh water for a couple days. They weren't all that bad. Problem is, unless you are willing to fight the row of "free" bones there is only about 3 lbs of fish steak on a 12 lb carp. The Jewish community still eat prepared carp and call it "gefilte fish". There must be 30,000 recipes for gefilte fish. Of course you only need to go to a Chez. sight to get another set of "Christmas carp" recipes.

The "better" of our rough fish is the "buffalo" (black, smallmouth and bigmouth). Roughly the same size of carp and VERY tasty. I eat a lot of buffalo. Funny thing is - I have to eat your fish. I have a phycological aversion to eating the fish I catch. Puke like I'm seasick if I can even get it in my mouth. I can clean your fish and eat them. It's not the cleaning, it's the catching. (Same with shooting wild game). No, I am NOT weird.

Phone

In my experience, like tiger nuts, peanuts, hemp works best when it is the season for being naturally available. If milo (I forget what you call milo) is washing into the watershed hemp is a killer bait. But then, it's the same with grasshoppers.

Edit: Apparently, the Silver Carp that are a real problem invasive species are excellent eating also. (I'm to old to have any experience with Silver Carp)

Edited by Phone

In my experience, like tiger nuts, peanuts, hemp works best when it is the season for being naturally available. If milo (I forget what you call milo) is washing into the watershed hemp is a killer bait. But then, it's the same with grasshoppers.

Edit: Apparently, the Silver Carp that are a real problem invasive species are excellent eating also. (I'm to old to have any experience with Silver Carp)

I don't think that much hemp seed gets into our waters naturally Phone, so there isn't a 'season' as such. I've found that as a hookbait, I've had more success in summer and autumn, I have had some good days in winter though. As loose feed, attractant, it works all year, especially with tares or caster as hookbait. As an additive to our kind of groundbait, (as a finely ground, sometimes roasted, powder), it will also work all year round. Target species, roach, barbel, chub, and dace, mainly in rivers, and tench in stillwaters.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Gozzer,

You may be right if you target those tiddler fish species.

I was thinking along the lines of grains (seeds of any sort really) ripening. I believe we are on the same page here. I was never a big advocate of hemp. Yust me.

Phone