Is 20 lb Main Line OK on 2.75 Test Curve Rod?

Martin56

I'm going to Jamaica soon & taking the above mentioned Rod!!.

2 & 3/4 lb TC Shimano STC Long Cast BX 12 Foot 6 Piece Travel Carp. Might use it for ABU HI LO Lure.

I reckon 20 lb Main or 20 lb direct would be OK??

I don't want to be overloading it, but this TC makes (to me) sense it would handle 20 lb main OK??

Obviously one has to adapt & make do with the limited stuff one can take!!

I want to avoid bottom fishing as much as possible to keep away from the Stingrays - I got done in the hand by one a few years ago in Mexico - Hurt like hell!! & £70+ Medical bill.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Martin,

The key for me with mono is this. NEW has less memory. After a year on the spool I think memory goes up dramatically. BTW this is true for the spools off the shelf from the retailer as well. If you buy the "latest greatest gift to fishing" mono it has a chance to also be the "freshest" line on the shelf.

Also, IMO, line weight is mostly a matter of "hook set". A good mono has up to 25% stretch in 70 degree water. If you are compelled to use my famous Texas Whip Hookset I might even consider 30lb. (formula - 25 yards 15lb line - 50 yards 20 lb line - over 50 yards 30 lb). There are only a few fish up to 50 lbs that can exert more than 12-15 lbs of pressure from swimming.

The answer is mono is fine if it is NEW New new

Phone

EDIT: BTW the lightest breaking strain I EVER use is 12lb. Caught tons of dinks on 12 lb mainline. Course, our 4oz fish are not nearly as smart as an English 4 oz fish.

Edited by Phone

The rod will easily handle quite a bit higher b/s. I'd probably opt to use good braid mainline (50/60 lb b/s) to avoid the memory, stretch, bulk of mono and use a mono leader/hooklength of a b/s to match the bait, lure, cover conditions and likely target fish where I was fishing. That way you could easily switch from light to medium to heavy mono line for the leader.

• Like 2
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Thanks for the replies guys & gals - I'll live with the 20 lb Mono for now though.

I won't be casting much more than 40 or 50 yards Max' & I think the up to 25% stretch can be a bit more forgiving for a tenderfoot Sea Angler - Which I am.

Also - I don't really know any Braid knots, though I did once try the Berkeley yellow Fireline a few years ago, I didn't realise then that most Mono knots, won't work with Braid!!

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Thanks for the replies guys & gals - I'll live with the 20 lb Mono for now though.

I won't be casting much more than 40 or 50 yards Max' & I think the up to 25% stretch can be a bit more forgiving for a tenderfoot Sea Angler - Which I am.

Also - I don't really know any Braid knots, though I did once try the Berkeley yellow Fireline a few years ago, I didn't realise then that most Mono knots, won't work with Braid!!

Grinner for braid to hook or swivel, some like the Palomar for braid to hook, I've found the grinner usually shades the Palomar on b/s, but not a lot in it.

To join mono to braid, use the Albright, amazing knot.

I'd be a little circumspect with really heavy braids on a 6 piece rod under load and keep it to 30lb myself, just to make sure the line breaks before the rod. Or use stronger and remember carbon isn't indestructible...

><((('> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`

¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯ ><((('>