Texas rig

The Flying Tench

There as an article in Angling Times this week on the Texas rig, where, when lure fishing for perch, instead of a jig head you have a sliding weight above the hook. ie there is no weight incorporated in the hook. The theory is that most of the bites when jigging come during the decent or just after, and with the Texas rig the descent is slower so more takes.

Sounds reasonable, but I'm surprised, if it works, I haven't heard more. Has anyone tried it?

john clarke

Hi John,

I've never tried it but I have heard good things about it! An easier version is just to use a swanshot or two! Aka the split shot rig.

Rich

Edited by Kappa

There are three main problems.

Most of the weights sold for this are lead and as the lead isn't built into the lure, it's illegal - you can get brass weights but they ain't cheap.

Most UK lure fishing is none specific and soft baits without exposed hook points don't work that well for pike.

The sort of strike required to set buried hook points in bass fishing will do huge amounts of damage to the rather different anatomy of perch.

I do like soft lures but having tried the US approach, I much prefer rigs with exposed points.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

All,

Ken's right, there are 3 main problems with it.

1. It is an American rig and you are English

2. We use heavy line and strong hook-sets

3. And you CAN'T buy lead sinkers anymore.

Tench,

Sliding sinkers have been around "forever". - Texas rig

Fixed sinkers have been around "forever" - Carolina rig.

To say "Texas rig" or "Carolina rig" is l lot easier than an explanation.

My example is somewhat elementary but don't over glorify a rig by it's name. It's mostly just "black bass" talk.

Phone

Sounds like spinning rigs that we've used for many years but to be sure maybe someone would be nice enough to attach a simple diagram to show exactly what is meant please? (We don't all buy AT Lol).

Keith

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I too have been thoroughly bemused by the various rigs for Perch fishing. Drawings or diagrams are good. I like diagrams. They make sense. Diagrams please.....

Ramblings and musings about trying to catch fish, the perfect sausage and my current playlist can be found at www.fishingforluckies.com

Video is the new diagram.

• Like 1

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Excellent stuff Ken. Couldn't be more clear.

I have to say that I've noticed from your catch list that you clearly didn't do so much travelling in 2015. Where the hell did you catch a Terrapin though? Was this an illicit visit to Seaworld with a folding travel rod concealed about your person, or did you plunder the local Aquatic supply megastore? It certainly is the standout species in an otherwise thoroughly domestic fishing year.

Do tell.

Ramblings and musings about trying to catch fish, the perfect sausage and my current playlist can be found at www.fishingforluckies.com

Thanks, Ken

I certainly take your point about the non exposed hook point, which admittedly the article in AT included, but I assume the rig would work without that? Re the cost of lead free weights, I checked the AGM site and you could get 12 3.5gm weights for £2 which strikes me as OK.

But what I haven't got my mind round is exactly how having a free-running weight effects the lure action. If it's no real benefit then I agree with Kappa - may as well just pinch a swan shot or two onto the line.

There are three main problems.
Most of the weights sold for this are lead and as the lead isn't built into the lure, it's illegal - you can get brass weights but they ain't cheap.
Most UK lure fishing is none specific and soft baits without exposed hook points don't work that well for pike.
The sort of strike required to set buried hook points in bass fishing will do huge amounts of damage to the rather different anatomy of perch.

I do like soft lures but having tried the US approach, I much prefer rigs with exposed points.

john clarke

Where the hell did you catch a Terrapin

The pond down the road - Stack pool in Kidderminster.

The chap fishing two pegs up had another one the same day.

North American red eared terrapin - a leftover from the TMNT craze I suspect.

I've also caught a big, scary freshwater turtle in Turkey that had a very bad attitude.

At least it wasn't one of these!