Wildlife...

Bobj

Cory,

Ahh I am contrite you have said that. Of course I know the difference between poisonous and venomous snakes. In my realm of NA, my statement is true. Regardless of the biology of the snake I ask rhetorically, "can a person be scared to death?". And my answer in my best Chesters1sonian, "Absolutely, no question about it."

Surely, You knew that !

Phone

Edit: Actually, I didn't know the difference, live and learn

Edited by Phone
  • Like 1

Not sure it would be so positive in that hallowed place more 50/50 i would think

Myself i would regard poison and venom the same but i was born in deptford in the early 50's so bumping into either remoter than bumping into a black man who would possibly know of such things or perhaps tarzan films.

Much later i learnt the effects of getting on the wrong end of an adder but lying in a hospital bed i doubt i cared if it were poison or venom it was more worry if my scooter was still in the car park after 4 days of feeling pretty ill

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

A 1.4m snake sounds a bit ambitious for a Kookaburra,

I had an encounter with a kookaburra that evidently knew the exact size of its gob, and was a good judge of speeds. angles and distances also.....

When visiting OZ, first night was rellies east of Brisbane. Arr Brissie airport 6 am, hire car, avoid Brisbane by driving over Mt Glorious, stop at cafe near summit for beer and sandwich - brilliant for rainforest birds early morning. Arrive at rellies for lunch.

So, at cafe, ordered a toasted asparagus sandwich and a glass of Fosters, Looked delicious to someone **** off after twenty seven hours of air travelers' fare. Chose table outside cafe. Sandwich cut into four squares, Ate three whilst watching (and being watched by) a kooka in a nearby tree.. Took a bite (about half) out of fourth segment and decided a swig of beer was in order, so put sandwich back on plate, and raised beer-glass.

That meant my line of sight to the sandwich was blocked by the beer-glass. In that instant the kooka had dived, snaffled the sandwich and swallowed it before regaining its perch. I am convinced it chose that moment (when I had no line of sight and hence could not defend the sandwich) deliberately - which suggests kookas are pretty smart. It waited for a bite-sized morsel as well.

Even Daughter No 2's sandwich-stealing Clumber Spaniel wasn't that smart.

Edited by Vagabond
  • Like 4

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

• 1 month later...

If it were behind my garden it would be 00.1mm thick

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

All venoms are poisons, the distinction is the delivery method.

Not so. Venoms are protiens. If you swallow snake venom the same thing happens to it as any other protiens when it gets to your stomach.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

In the National Park behind my garden, this morning, a golden orb spider; about 6 inches across.

06fN2Gn.jpg

At least she won't kill you with one bite. You might feel like **** for a day or so, and it'll hurt like hell, but you'll live.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I had an encounter with a kookaburra that evidently knew the exact size of its gob, and was a good judge of speeds. angles and distances also.....

When visiting OZ, first night was rellies east of Brisbane. Arr Brissie airport 6 am, hire car, avoid Brisbane by driving over Mt Glorious, stop at cafe near summit for beer and sandwich - brilliant for rainforest birds early morning. Arrive at rellies for lunch.

So, at cafe, ordered a toasted asparagus sandwich and a glass of Fosters, Looked delicious to someone **** off after twenty seven hours of air travelers' fare. Chose table outside cafe. Sandwich cut into four squares, Ate three whilst watching (and being watched by) a kooka in a nearby tree.. Took a bite (about half) out of fourth segment and decided a swig of beer was in order, so put sandwich back on plate, and raised beer-glass.

That meant my line of sight to the sandwich was blocked by the beer-glass. In that instant the kooka had dived, snaffled the sandwich and swallowed it before regaining its perch. I am convinced it chose that moment (when I had no line of sight and hence could not defend the sandwich) deliberately - which suggests kookas are pretty smart. It waited for a bite-sized morsel as well.

Even Daughter No 2's sandwich-stealing Clumber Spaniel wasn't that smart.

Just as impressive as there sneaky sandwich stealing antics is the evening chorus numbers of them deliver ,serenaded every evening on the Murray river and powerful and evocative it was

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

In most parts of Asia, the golden orb weavers set their ridiculously strong and large webs high to catch dragon flies and unfortunate small birds. They also build a fresh web every evening.

On Bali (as well as much of QLD), they build them low.

I'm not normally much of an arachnaphobe but the prospect of blundering into a super strong sticky web and it's irate owner whilst walking home from a bar always gave me the heebie jeebies.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.