braided line

rob.imk2

Merry Christmas to everyone. I could do with some info I,m biting the bullet and going to use braid for feeder fishing has anyone used it to target bream on the quiver. I would appreciate any recommendations on which brand to use and colour plus rigs .I have read some stuff but still confused .I have read I may need a shock leader is braid too weak to take a decent cast if so how what leader breaking strain would i need thanks in advance Rob

Number me with Rage it,s a shame Number me in Haste its a shame

Rob,

Is there a reason why you might change?

A shock leader is to keep from breaking your ROD not the braid.

With NO stretch braid is unforgiving - on the cast or at the net.

OTOH - if you feel you are consistently late striking a bite it may be worth a try.

If you've been a life-long mono fisherman I think the learning curve is quite cumbersome.

Having said that the "best" braid on the market is PowerPro Maxcuatro. Breaking strain 50lb is the same diameter as the "best" 6lb mono lines.

Phone

Here's the shockleader knot I use in case you need it.

You need 10 lb b.s per 1 oz of lead. So for instance, a 2 oz lead needs a 20 lb b.s shockleader. & 4 to 6 or so turns of it on the reel. + the drop from the rod tip.

There's a few knots out there but this one's by far the best & easiest to tie.

I use this myself. (Mono to Mono - I assume it'll also work for Braid??)

You'll find out soon enough when it's pulled up tight.

Just a point if you're a Newbie to Braid?? Ordinary scissors won't cut it properly - pinking shears used in tailoring are ideal. They cut that zig zag pattern which prevents fraying in cloth.

You can buy Braid scissors but looking at reviews, some are not very good at what they're supposed to do. I've found the pinking shears do a good job & are inexpensive. (especially if the wife already has them in her sewing box!!)

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Tigger,

Times change. I've not tried it but the unbiased literature says PowerPro Maxcuatro is a new ball game in 2016.

Just my opinion but I believe the "claims" assume smaller diameter is better. Frankly, I couldn't handle the old "fat" braid very well, especially in later years when my were cold . Not sure there isn't a point of diminishing returns when it comes to line size. Comes in 4-5 colors.

Phone

Braid has excellent tensile strength for its diameter but is generally not as abrasion resistant as mono. If you use the same BS as your mono it will be much thinner but much less abrasion resistance.

For this reason you should opt for a braid that is close to the same diameter as your mono It will be much stronger and equally abrasion resistant.

I use braid almost all of the time for speci fishing (carp / pike) and have tried most premium braids over the years. These days I use Dyneema braids from China, similar to this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Brand-1000M-8-Strand-PE-Multifilament-Braided-Fishing-Line-Saltwater-Freshwater-30-50-80-LBS/32711634767.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.110.F2GJBv&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_6_10065_10068_10000009_10084_10083_10080_10082_10081_10060_10061_10062_10056_10055_10054_10059_10099_10078_10079_427_10073_10103_10102_10096_10052_10050_10051,searchweb201603_2,afswitch_5&btsid=ecc94d84-50a5-4741-b930-0df9d9b0e3f1

Can't say I have seen any difference compared to lines cost two or three times as much.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

For a good braid at a top price, this is hard to beat. It is very thin, so if you are currently using an 8lb mainline, you can use 15 or 20lb braid and it will still be thinner than your current mono.

There is no need for a shock leader and if you have a nice soft bottom, you may not need any sort of leader other than your hooklink and in that case, the only knot you will need is a Palomar knot to join the braid to a swivel.

It is likely though that you are going to need a short rubbing leader of a meter or so of mono or fluorocarbon if you are fishing where there are rocks, mussels etc.

The knot shown in the video above is for sea fishing applications and is not suitable for lighter lines. To join a braid onto a mono leader (which I do a lot for bass and barramundi fishing), you will need a double uni knot. You will typically want half a dozen turns on the mono side of the knot and about 10 on the braid side.

No other adaptations to rigs are needed but you may need to adjust the way that you strike and play fish because of the lack of stretch in braid

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Martin56, on 26 Dec 2016 - 00:09, said:

Here's the shockleader knot I use in case you need it.

You need 10 lb b.s per 1 oz of lead. So for instance, a 2 oz lead needs a 20 lb b.s shockleader. & 4 to 6 or so turns of it on the reel. + the drop from the rod tip.

There's a few knots out there but this one's by far the best & easiest to tie.

I use this myself. (Mono to Mono - I assume it'll also work for Braid??)

You'll find out soon enough when it's pulled up tight.

Just a point if you're a Newbie to Braid?? Ordinary scissors won't cut it properly - pinking shears used in tailoring are ideal. They cut that zig zag pattern which prevents fraying in cloth.

You can buy Braid scissors but looking at reviews, some are not very good at what they're supposed to do. I've found the pinking shears do a good job & are inexpensive. (especially if the wife already has them in her sewing box!!)

Yup the knot described is nearly an improved Albright, don't bother with a mono knot to start off with, just loop the mono instead, and yup a fab knot for braid. When braid first come out, dyneema by dynon in my case it was a revelation for salt water use, in particular wrecking. Or holding bottom in the tide. It immediately done away with using heavier weights, halved or more in some instances. And as for wrecking, drifting over the wrecks, no matter what strength of the tide ten ounce is the maximum required, straight up and down in say 60 m of water. I cannot for the life of me see the advantages of using it for casting as a wind knot or a bad tangle will mean either a crack off or throwing a whole reel of braid away. In the case of using braid of the same diameter i.e. 50lb for casting beware of a tangle and don't forget to duck as that weight could come back just as fast and hit you in the nut. The lightest braid while on a charter boat is 30lb anything under that, get a tangle with a n other and it's a bitch to sort out. The next revelation came with the super braids, thinner, again I would not use less than 30lb. I remember guys coming down on the south coast and all they had was mono. We were fishing the deep hole off Portland and they couldn't hold bottom. because of the depth and tide even us guys with braid were using up to 3lb of lead. Once we changed them over to braid they joined in with the fun.

The improved Albright, I have total confidence in hauling up conger eel with it. A leader is required as braid straight through will last miliseconds if it touches wreck metal. In addition because of it's non- stretch, a leader is required to help the rod act as a shock absorber. The super braids manufactured and sold direct from china are exactly the same as the branded ones in the u k, and again I use them from 30-70lb fishing at depth and have no issues with their longevity and durability. The cost of them makes it worthwhile to buy theirs direct as opposed to a Chinese line that has been branded.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Ken,

Isn't that a steel wire braid?

Phone

You mean the KastKing braid that I linked to?

No, it's an 8 stranded line made from woven gel spun polyethylene.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.