ABU Record 60

Bobj

About 14 years ago, I bought an Abu Record from my local tackle shop. It served me well, longer casts, smoother drag and neater look. It was only ever used in freshwater, but I decided to try it out in the briny earlier this year...It still serves me well, accounting for 20 + lb sea-run barra.

Seems that Australian distributors don't bring these reels into the country. Looked atSweden...horrendously expensive. USA, Only one I noted, East Coast Tackle, has them at a good price. BUT, I don't have plastic money/credit card.No, I won't be looking to offers, but it just seems that a very good reel is 'sidelined' for some odd reason.

Might lower my standards, ( :bigemo_harabe_net-163:) and buy the Abu 65000

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Plenty of them about, or so it seems.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XABU+Record+reel.TRS0&_nkw=ABU+Record+reel&_sacat=0

Not sure how you can pay for them though, cash is just so last century!

I have an old Abu Record 2100 which I bought back in the late 70s after reading a book by Dave Stuart on roach fishing when he wrote that he had used one just for fun when trotting for roach when it was in freespool mode. I havent used it for trotting but I have used it in the past for legering across the Kennet for chub in the past and it performed quite well.

The pic below shows the Abu Record 2100 next to my Abu 506 to show how small the Abu Record is.

OtherTrottingReels600x450.jpg

It's been a long time since I've used it though.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I've long wondered why more coarse don't use multiplier reels.

Tried it in the past with my pretty american reels but on a british rod the 'right' way up (reel underneath) the handle is either on the wrong side or you have to reel in backwards .

Not had an abu multiplier perhaps its the right way round but i presume its designed to fit an abu casting rod with a crank handle so used upside down?

I love mine but i use a roddy closed face reel which is designed to be ambidextrouse so you can use it upside down but reel in forwards in the right (in this case left) hand

Other than casting lures or ledgers i cant see a use for multipliers they are not exactly free running

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Other than casting lures or ledgers i cant see a use for multipliers they are not exactly free running

My Abu Record 2100 was originally made for competition casting and has a very light magnesium spool which revolves extremely freely (when clicked into freespool mode) and can very easily be pushed into use for long trotting, however because it is used on top of the rod (with your thumb resting lightly against the line if needed to slow the line release) the rod needs to be twisted a little so that the line does'nt come in contact with the rod blank as the line peels off the reel and snakes through the rod rings.

I didn't use mine for trotting but this is how Dave Stuart described its use when he used it when trotting for roach; just for fun. NB: not word for word but it gives the jist of what he wrote in his book

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Interesting i was comparing it to my american phluegers which ofcourse have levelwind doodas to add to add to the friction ,mine are more prettier though

Perhaps the abu was designed for a crank handled rod ? Speedlocks in abu speak they sold many in the 70's

Whilst thinking back i had one of those short lived rods that had the line run internaly in the blank ,it worked fine until the second cast when wet line caused a lot of friction sticking to the blank ,i sold mine on after finding it trapped every bit of crap that could be picked up by the line ,i bought mine in the autumn luckily there was no pollen about or it would have gone over my knee very quickly,i used it with an abu casting reel and on paper looked like a great combination

I was converted to closed face reels watching the ease casting gurus plonked the rubber weights into the floating rings at the 1969 angling show and found casting underhand under overgrown shrubs was childs play ,it opened up many places to fish ,nowadays ofcourse chainsaws would spoil the fun and the bank!

Not convinced though the multi could cast a 3" float with a few dust shot on like my 500 series closed faces can down my river

Still thinking my first closed face wasnt abu (expensive critters) it was a noris shakespear wondercast ,i passed it onto my son in the 90's still working fine as crude things do

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Not convinced though the multi could cast a 3" float with a few dust shot on like my 500 series closed faces can down my river

I agree with you there chesters, I'm sure it wouldn't be much good casting a light float further than about a rods length.

But if you are fishing in the circumstances where a centrepin starts to have problems such as in strong gusty winds where the line is continually being blown around the back of the reel, and you are trotting fairly close in I should imagine it would be quite good.

NB: like you; I would rather use my closed face reel in these situations too but I might one day try using my record multiplier for a bit of near bank trotting Lol.

Dave Stuart only used his record 2100 multiplier for a bit of fun very occasionally, but he found it quite good for trotting when he did use it.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

I agree with you there chesters, I'm sure it wouldn't be much good casting a light float further than about a rods length.

But if you are fishing in the circumstances where a centrepin starts to have problems such as in strong gusty winds where the line is continually being blown around the back of the reel, and you are trotting fairly close in I should imagine it might be quite good.

NB: like you; I would rather use my closed face reel in these situations too but I might one day try using my record multiplier for a bit of trotting just for fun Lol.

Dave Stuart only used it occasionally just for fun but he found it quite good when he did use it for trotting.

Keith

I presume he used a very big float or started it going by pulling off the line untill there was enough out so the flow kept it going.

Not something i would enjoy ,i left all my experimental side in a box many decades ago ,with age came lazyness in my case.

I always wished i could use tools and lathes etc theres a lot you could do with a basic 500 series to make a good reel great

Take multiplyers if you could disengage the linelay to cast then flick it back to retrieve it would be a great improvement and a bit of decent gearing in a 500 would make a huge difference

Edited by chesters1
  • Like 1

Never got on with Multipliers & really had more trouble in the "Birds Nest" department so gave it up as a bad job.

Never really wanted them in my life anyway - but did seem a good idea at one time!! (Holiday type Sea Fishing that is)

Multiplier casting is really something one really wants to do & great if you're willing to persevere & learn - Otherwise my advice would be - don't buy one unless you're prepared to give it a good home!!

"A MULTIPLIER IS FOR LIFE - NOT JUST FOR CHRISTMAS" :nono:

I reckon though, starting off with a centrepin style cast (2 or 3 fingers of line from the rod rings) is the way, rather than a proper multiplier style cast when trotting a light float??

Edited by Martin56
  • Like 1

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!