Drennan Acolyte Plus vs Tench float MkIV

Phil Adams

I also have a 13ft MKIV Drennan Tench Float rod which I use for trotting for Barbel and chub as well as for Tench; and it's rated for line and braid up to 7lb.

The Drennan Acolyte Plus is designed for using lines up to 6lb so might be slightly less capable than the Tench Float rod but only slightly Lol.

The 'Acolyte Plus' is lighter in weight than the Tench float rod and also comes in longer versions however I would choose to get the 13ft 'Compact' version of the Acolyte Plus which folds into 2 pieces plus a short handle extension so that it can be carried in its own rod sleeve ready made up.

Once my Tench Float rod bites the dust I too will seriously think about getting a 13ft Compact Acolyte Plus.

Although not quite as light as the Acolyte; the Drennan MKIV Tench rod is still light enough for me to hold in my hand for a long time when I'm trotting which is why I'm holding off from buying the Acolyte until I really need one; or until the wife decides to buy me one Lol.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

The acolyte is much lighter and slimer so obviously more pleasant to hold if your trotting. The accy is deceivingly powerful and i've hit and held barbel to 10lb using a 13ft model. I do have a super tench rod which is probably more powerful but nothing like as pleasant to use in the hand if trotting. Obviously if your rods in a rest the weight and slimness isn't much of an issue so the tench rods extra power might swing you toward it depending on your target species.

Just clocked Keiths post....personally I prefer the ordinary three peice rod over the compact version that'srecently come out. I think it's just a gimmic as you still have three peices anyhow and one has to be screwed into place. I reckon if I had my three peice made up ready I could assemble it quicker than someone with a compact.

Edited by Tigger

i have the Acolyte plus in 14 and love it ,there was a spate of breakages 4 or 5 from my local tackle shop mine being one think it may have been a bad batch but the shop got it replaced no problem ,,,,think when the blanks are that thin and light then the smallest ding makes them vulnerable

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Not a fan of leaving any rod with single leg rings in a sleeve made up ,all that happens with me is eventualy they get bent out off shape and snap. Lovely looking blanks but fittings look too fragile for a clumsy git like me .

The guides are pretty robust but only appear to be some generic types, I would have expected drennan to have used some quality fuji guides on their top spec rods!