Britford Fishery

Rusty

With the end of the season looming I’m in the fortunate position of being able to take a month off work from 20th Feb to 20th March. As with last year I want to try some new venues and this time The Avon at Britford is top of the list. I’ve spoken to the head bailiff and have some info from the web but nothing too recent. I understand that winter is the best time to fish it and that good sized roach are still a real possibility. Although I’ll be spending a couple of days there it’s a huge fishery and forming a plan is a bit daunting, the weirpools will be my starting point but after that I’m stumped. Any help from people who’ve fished it recently in narrowing down options would be much appreciated, not specific swims just general guidance on areas, whether to focus on the carriers or main river that sort of stuff.

Thank you

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Hi Rusty

I tried it at the end of October - see my brief blog. The key thing I discovered is that for the roach you need a bit of colour and flow, which were both lacking when I was there. Stuart first directed me to a weirpool on the main carrier, the first one upstream of the car park. About 15 mins walk from memory. Loads of bites from grayling and moderate sized rainbow trout. There were also meant to be good dace, but I failed to make contact with them. I also tried the old river, but at that stage there was a cloudless sky which, combined with the crystal clear water, didn't bode well. But I got a few small grayling. Despite this someone said they saw some good roach in a hole, but I couldn't see them!

My understanding from what Stuart said, and other anglers, is that most of the big roach are in the main carrier, one good stretch being the one by the car park. The old river, which is faster, is mainly grayling and dace. I didn't look at the small carrier as I was advised there was too little water to fish it, but someone said they had a big roach there when there was more water. Some people fished for chub on the main carrier a few hundred yards below the car park, I can't remember if that was in the weir pool. Oh, and most of the anglers when I was there were fishing for pike.

Best of luck when you go, Rusty!

john clarke

have you joined LAA then Chris

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Thanks a lot for that John, levels are low at the moment so I'm hoping for rain in the next few weeks otherwise it'll be a lot of walking searching for the deeper holes.

Steve - I'll be fishing on day tickets, a couple of days to begin with (staying in a nearby B&B) and I'll see how it goes after that. Fully intend to join LAA next season though

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Appleford bit looks good to and you have seen the other bits

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Holes !!!!! Now that's what we in Yorkshire call ALL swims. (or Pegs on Matches - even then, they're still 'oles).

We have 4 o'clock holes ('oles) at some venues - where you hardly get a bite till about that time!! The Yorkshire Swale being a prime example.

It was not uncommon to be smashed 10 times in an hour after that when the Barbel came on!!

They wouldn't entertain more than double caster, on a size 18 forged hook to 4 lb.

4 lb was almost washing line back in early 70's!! (6 lb was washing line lol)

4 oz hook lengths (an almost certain flight of fancy by some & maybe born out of - "what can we do with this batch of weak line we've just made"?? ) were popular at that time for roach though I never ventured below 1 lb.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!