not help but a query

chesters1

At the moment i am watching the dpd app and seeing my parcel slowly creep nearer in semi real time.

The van position is shown and my house as the destination is shown BUT my position is also shown !!!

Now i know you can somewhere in the dephs of the tablets settings theres a thing for showing false locations but in most cases i guess thats not used and most phone / tablets use the location bit to home in on local shops or whatever.

But thinking about it does mr van driver have the knowledge where i am ?

I can see him ,i can see me! With a bit of knowledge could the app be manipulated to let Johnny burgler know when i am out so he can let himself in?

Just a thought

Its about a minute outside of real time ,i signed and a minute or less later the app updated and it was blank so i cannot see its next location only previous ones but theoretically i could use it to intercept the vans location and pick up the parcels in their "safe" places just after he left but then you could anyway but the position bit is the most alarming

The location of the van is i guess either gps or via his signing dooda but looking at the plot it seems pretty accurate its in the bounds of the road not 20 feet into a Field

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Yes phones are easy but only for providers and those they share the info with but dpd is just a courier service and i was wondering if my tablet was highlighting my position to me or to the courier ? (I cant see the point i know where i am) so it must be for someone else

I cannot see my two phones so its down to the tablet the app was on reporting my position to me ? Or perhaps to the courier itself which is the worrying part

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Yes i know that but i was wondering about all those kids walking about with phones and them probably being tracked who dont know how to turn off locations .

Could some crafty pervert use a common app to stalk them ? Probably not quite yet but i can see it on the cards ,kiddy fiddlers inc make an app which kids download (some game) which to get you input your age and sex and hey presto a child molestation selection box and because it uses location shows down to a few feet where they are 24/7.

Tech isnt always for good reasons.

Most apps you install are free and you except what comes with it who reads the small print ,my blackphone lets me stop everything the app wants to do (bit pointless stopping some its needed to use the app) but i think most kids will happily except everything if the apps a game as will adults.

We can already get gps logging watches for kids or grannies and if they step outside an area the app tells the parent / carer they have done so so the technology is there in some things

Is clever old china putting tech in phones where on command the camera mike and gps switch on without alerting us ? Smart bit of spying! tellies did it phones are no different lol

Edited by chesters1

Yes anyone can make an app do that and scary thing is i bet its already happened. Kids dont give a shite what goes on their phones or what data they collect so long as they get the app and they dont care. Almost selfish.

uber was recently caught out keeping creepy tabs on celebs who use their service using the app on the phone.

My phone cant block permissions for apps its an old model and cant take a custom firmware so no apps except tomtom on mines ever.

Im always trying to educate my 16 year old nephew the dangers of apps even from the play store but he just does not give a crap. We all got a text message couple of months ago from unknown number "uncle andy / gran / dad check out this link" didnt take a genius to.figure out whos address book was uploaded to unknown so what else was uploaded. Texts, emails, gps, photo gallery and sold to whoever wants it and all in the name of advertising.

OS developers are allowing this shite to happen.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Chesters1,

Had you never considered it? Provider says "anything that can be accomplished via wifi is fair game".

Things like opening and unlocking your house - piece of cake.

Phone

The 'newest' thing here (probably obselete in japan) is using your voice to unlock phones or run apps !?!

Two points can a crim record your voice and use it? (Hints of 70's heist movies)

And what happens if you get a cold?

My phone is newish ,my older blackberry storm doesnt even have wifi so is secure and my blackphone is annoyingly secure

The phone goes to sleep you input a pin to unlock it ,it switches off its a password then a pin lol

Most apps will not work in the secure partition but in the second section some will (google app dooda cannot be installed but amazon underground can be) but every permission can be stopped ,every bit of transmission and permission is needed)

Luckily though its only text used on a thursday and for text on a sunday i have no need of anything else because i phone no-one which is good ,certainly no stupid apps like banking paypal etc thats what my playbook is used for and that is very secure !

P.s. Yes china is putting hardware in phones to spy and they were caught out not long ago too. Thankfuly only phones sold in china.

Probably it was insisted that it was only phones used in china (wink) the government like most are paranoid but a vpn gets around any censoring but the penalty getting caught probably means rich americans can buy your organs for replacements !

Cambridge uni has an 'understanding' about such things with their students based there so my neices organs were safe lol

There was a hooha about smart tv's getting to smart and listening in and i have doubts about certain new bits of kit that use the internet to look up smart answers to your questions IMHO if you talk to it and it answers its pretty dangerouse if its got wifi even more so

Edited by chesters1