Pike and the warm spell

Mat Hillman

I always wonder how a warm spell can bring them on since water temps surely cant climb fast enough in the space of time we have. Is there another trigger perhaps. Can take months for the water temps to climb even a little up the fishery with the constant run off from the moores even in summer it can be a bit nippy but yet they still come on the feed.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Andy,

Of course you are correct in that water temps are inter-related with the balance of the entire environment. Water temp as a statement is usually most closely associated with amount of light. As the days get longer activity picks up. And, it is easier to fish a couple extra hours as well.

I want to caution you there will be a slight set back when "daylight savings time" returns. Be prepared for a couple slow days each spring as the fish make that adjustment.

Phone

Andy,

Of course you are correct in that water temps are inter-related with the balance of the entire environment. Water temp as a statement is usually most closely associated with amount of light. As the days get longer activity picks up. And, it is easier to fish a couple extra hours as well.

I want to caution you there will be a slight set back when "daylight savings time" returns. Be prepared for a couple slow days each spring as the fish make that adjustment.

Phone

It's not April Fool's Day is it, Phone? Or do your fish wear watches? ;)

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I went deadbaiting for pike on Tuesday afternoon when it was very mild and cloudy. In 4 1/2 hours I had fish of 13-00, 13-08, 17-05 and 23-00.

In fact whilst I was unhooking the 23lber another rod roared off and that turned out to be the 17. I bullied it in and took just a mat shot of the 23 for ID purposes.

I was back in the same swim (the Point on the Main Lake at Wingham) the following afternoon. It was still lovely and mild but with the odd bit of drizzle - perfect perch conditions in fact. Maybe I should have fished for perch as, although I arrived 2 hours earlier, all I had was a 1 1/2lb jack!

What a difference a day makes!

Edited by Steve Burke
  • Like 1

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Yes. My thoughts exactly.....

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Phone

That extra day every leap year must really confuse them. :wacko:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John