any float fishing reel recommendations ?

grayling4me

hi. ive been using abu 505/506s for donkeys years. looking at a new reel for trotting rivers and wondered what recommendations other trotters might have ? i have been taking a look at the new 506 mk11 which seems to have mixed reviews and also the drennan fd 3000 fwiw. anyway any suggestions/recommendations welcomed !

For trotting I use an Okuma Sheffield centrepin, an original Abu 506 (when wind is causing problems with my pin) and a Drennan FD4000 (small enough for most float fishing even though it's described as a feeder reel).

But most of the time I like using my centrepin for trotting

NB: If you already use an Abu 506 then I can't see much point in buying the new Abu 506 which seems to get a lot of bad press when compared to the original ABU 506.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

ABU 501's and 506's for me. I have four of them loaded with different lines. On the 506's I removed the gear interrupter, which allows backwind instead of relying on the clutch drag. I was given an unused 506 5 years ago, by a new aquaintence, who finding out that I went fishing, presented me with it. "tried fishing years ago, but couldn't catch anything". Unfortunately he didn't have anything else, that might have been of use.

Best trotting and spinning reel made IMO.

Like many on here, I'd nudge you towards a centre pin - you'll get an Okuma Sheffied for less than £100 if you shop around - new - and I doubt there is anything you would ask of a centrepin that the reel could not do spectacularly well, even compared to hand-built beasties several times the price.

If you really want to continue with a fixed spool, personally I'd do my best to source another (original) ABU - they ARE out there, available in VGC and even, occasionally unused, and as you are aware are a spectacularly good option for this type of fishing ... I have the newer ABU's too, but the original still takes the biscuit, IMHO.

If you want the option of clutch or backwind the abu 1044 is ok but a little small.

I bought the newer abu gold match reel but it quickly wore out the silly elastic bands with prongs on that stop the line going behind the spool and even a 3year old reel abu didnt have any spares.

I got away with spares by using a pipe cleaner but in the end sold it on ebay ,its a heavy beast as well ,as for the newer abus bar that my head bailff broke 2 704? In a year so i stick to my old ones

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

At the risk of labouring the point, Centrepins rule the roost for trotting all day - every day!! (on a fairly calm day anyway)

I have 2 "Leeds Type" reels. Not a true pin as they have a sealed bearing, made by the late great Ken Smith who was a tool maker at the power station where my Late Dad worked AND Ken was also the Manager of the All England Match team.

I acquired 3 actually - Mine, Dad's & my older brother's. (gave one away to my cousin)

I'd put them all up against any on the current market (I got mine for my 16th Birthday - I've just turned 60)

At that time, probably wouldn't have cost more than a tenner each?? (Mates Rates & all)

Knowing Ken - he may well have even given them away!!

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

My Trotting days are now over so I would be happy to give one of these to a good home. £30 inc' postage - Bargain.

Runs for ever & ever.

Pin lovers only please or someone who's willing to give the pin a go!! (No sellers) - The reel I'm offering was my Late Dad's but it's not getting any use these days & seems a shame for it not to be seeing light of day!!

I'm really loathe to do this but really can't see the sense in it not being used!!

You're more than welcome to send it back if not happy.

Believe me - It's a dream to fish with!!

Martin.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

At the risk of labouring the point, Centrepins rule the roost for trotting all day - every day!! (on a fairly calm day anyway)

I have 2 "Leeds Type" reels. Not a true pin as they have a sealed bearing, made by the late great Ken Smith who was a tool maker at the power station where my Late Dad worked AND Ken was also the Manager of the All England Match team.

I acquired 3 actually - Mine, Dad's & my older brother's. (gave one away to my cousin)

I'd put them all up against any on the current market (I got mine for my 16th Birthday - I've just turned 60)

At that time, probably wouldn't have cost more than a tenner each?? (Mates Rates & all)

Knowing Ken - he may well have even given them away!!

I may have forgot eliteism in my earlier post as well lol

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson